This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE5 what constitutes 1 rep?

Started by Matty P, October 29, 2015 · 8 Replies · 332 Views

Matty P

Hi people,

I am wondering with SL/PE5 what makes up 1 rep?  Is it 1 twisting arch up on each side? or 1 side = 1 rep?  Not keen to cook my QL's and thoracolumbar any more than I need to.

 

Contribution appreciated.

 

MP

Murray Truelove

Each side is a rep.

Matty P

Thanks Murray.

  This should really be made clearer on the course platform as it can make a serious difference in the volume of work one is doing if there is misunderstanding.  E.g. This morning I did 4x16 reps when I should've only be doing 4x8.  I am in week 9 of SL/PE5, so've been doing double the reps for this preparatory element for 9 weeks.....not ideal to say the least.

 

MP

Murray Truelove

I think there's a general rule that if it's alternating sides (cossacks, Russian twists) everything's a rep.

When it's symmetrical (SLS, side plank twists, Xiaopeng) it's reps per side.

I agree it could be clearer.

Matty P

Thanks Zach.  SL/PE5 is not a mobility element.  If there is not clear instructions on the platform as to what a rep is I think there is a clear hole here.  You are prescribing exercise so you must give clear communication of the variables, otherwise there is much guess work and more chance of injury.  Don't get me wrong, I love the system and the slow progressions into steely strength that is offered.  I'm only interested in making it better for all.  Like many of us no doubt, I too have been injured exercising so this is also a motivation for me, to be involved in a safe method.

 

With respect,

 

MP.

Cole Dano

The F.A.Q. has been edited to reflect both Element and iM to avoid confusion.

NEto
Zach Armijo said:

 

  • For elements which alternate directions, eg) RC/PE4>iM, count each side as a rep. (unless explicitly indicated, as in sPL/PE2>iM). That is, left + right = two reps.

 

I've already read a couple of posts concerning SL/PE5 in which people say arching to each side counts as a rep. But I noticed an "@" in my schedule... I'm a little confused.

What does the "@" (e. g. SL/PE5: 5x10r@) represent? I'm used to the notation Mark Verstegen makes, where "@" means I should do the number of reps written before it "for each side". For single-limbed elements it's clear, but the example SL/PE5: 5x10r@ is actually an element which alternates directions.

Adriano

@ means alternating?

So 5X10r@ would mean: "Do 10 reps alternating sides."

NEto

that makes sense :) Thanks Adriano