Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Injured Ligaments - exercises to prevent further Injuries?

Florian Nagel

Florian Nagel

Hey there.

Last week i fucked up the ligaments of my left food in acrobatic training. I landed on tiptoe and twisted outwards with my ankle. I had the same thing, a little less severe, some months ago (skateboarding injury). So far, i had a cink bandage for a few days. And since two days after the injury i can walk fine again. But i'm not sure, how i should stress my ankles the best way, to prevent further injuries.

In stretches like, for example, the elevated seiza, i feel that my left ankle is far more stiff since the injury. Should i do such stretches at all, for now? I know i could do reflex training. But exercises like standing on unsteady ground with one foot, to go up and down, to totter, to do it blindfold etc., are not really challenging for me. Maybe because of my skateboarding background. Any suggestions what i should do? I don't want to be prone to such injuries.

Sorry if i've made spelling mistakes. I am learning English.

I also was not sure, which subforum would be the best for my topic. Thanks for your patience, folks.

• 2 weeks later...
Christoph Pahl

I once tore my ankle extremely outwards. Ligaments were far overstretched but luckily not broken, took me more than a year to regain complete stability. I did physio therapy but do not remember too well. Stretching is not the way to go - your ligaments are already overstretched, the felt stiffnes could be a protection mechanism. Rather strengthen the muscles which turn the foot inwards, did that on some kind of swinging board. But mainly let time pass... and pass... and pass.

Edited by Christoph

Christoph Pahl

I don't know the correct english term (what's your mother tongue?). Something like this http://www.online-fitness-coaching.com/balance-board-test/.  This could still be "not challenging enough" for you... However after an injury like this the correct utilisation of the foot has  to be re-learned somewhat, even low-intensity exercises help. You can also take good care of your foot while simply walking, rather pronated at the moment. Perhaps you find something with you skateboard, to train pronation?