Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Made from stone - where to start?

Kevin Easton

I am going to start Foundations 1 this week.

Naturally I am stronger than average, however due to years and years of weightlifting and rarely stretching I am stiff as a board.  I can foresee my lack of mobility limiting my progress in F1.

Now, I have been looking at side split OR front split courses.

When I attempt to do a front split it's a total gong show.  My hamstrings and hip flexors are brutally light. 

Side split for me is bad, but I feel like it's a bit better than my front split.

Questions 1:

Which stretch series would you recommend first?  Due to work, kids, life, etc I don't realistically think I will have enough time to do both.

Questions 2:

Will the front split course also indirectly help my side split (even slightly)?

Questions 3:

Will the side split course also indirectly help my front split (even slightly)?

• Upvote 1

I am going to start Foundations 1 this week.

Naturally I am stronger than average, however due to years and years of weightlifting and rarely stretching I am stiff as a board.  I can foresee my lack of mobility limiting my progress in F1.

Now, I have been looking at side split OR front split courses.

When I attempt to do a front split it's a total gong show.  My hamstrings and hip flexors are brutally light. 

Side split for me is bad, but I feel like it's a bit better than my front split.

Questions 1:

Which stretch series would you recommend first?  Due to work, kids, life, etc I don't realistically think I will have enough time to do both.

Questions 2:

Will the front split course also indirectly help my side split (even slightly)?

Questions 3:

Will the side split course also indirectly help my front split (even slightly)?

Hi Easto, I understand exactly where you are coming from.  I have very tight hamstrings and hip flexors.  I have been using all 3 stretch courses for exactly one month and it has already made a huge difference.  I can't believe the increased range of motion and flexibility in just four weeks.  I couldn't get halfway down in standing pancake 4 weeks ago, but this weekend I was able to touch the floor with my hands in the middle and almost behind my feet.  

Like you, I considered purchasing one to start.  I started with TB because it was the area I was least skilled at properly stretching.  After seeing just how great the course was, I immediately purchased MS the next week.  A week later I had to get FS to complete the set.  These are unlike any other stretching course I have been exposed to and are much more effective in my opinion.  (I was bored with yoga, but I really enjoy these.)

To be honest, both FS and MS are addressing my tight hamstrings (and the combo is probably why I'm progressing quite quickly).  Personally, I am much more sore and find MS more difficult than FS, but I if I could only purchase one to start, as a student, I'd recommend FS.  (Coaches might have a different recommendation.)  MS is a lot of wide leg hamstring stretching and inner thigh work.  FS incorporates calf and quad stretching with the hamstrings, so I think if I could only commit to one, at least in the short-term, I'd prefer FS.  

Personally, I use them on rest or cardio-only days to make time for all 3 in my schedule.  And I recommend using the follow along option built into the course because it's all timed out for you and Coach Sommers leads the course.  

Enjoy! 

• Upvote 1

Jared Lybbert

Choosing one of the two, I'd recommend middle split, as although it won't attack your hamstrings like front split will, it will probably be more useful to you. Both a great, but I think middle split is better if you can only do one.

I have been plugging away at both Middle Split and Front Split. 

After seeing some of the exercises for Foundation One I realized I need to deal with my mobility issues before I can make any sort of respectable progress in Foundations One.  For example, I am about 6" from touching my toes with straight legs, middle split is well over 12" off the ground.  I can thank year and years of lifting weights and never stretching.  I am paying for that lack of mobility now.

• Upvote 1

Dylan Robertson

So you ended up buying both of them? Make sure to take some pics so you could eventually do a before and after comparison. Also what about the TB Course, are you going to buy that later?

I don't have stall bars + time right now to do all 3.

In a perfect would without work and kids I would be able to hammer out Foundations One, Handstand One, and the three stretch courses. 

Unfortunately I don't have time - I also do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.... I need about 40 hours a day just to get everything done I need and want to do

Dylan Robertson

Yeah I feel you, I also do BJJ, but haven't seen able to go because of my High School Swim Team Season. So I stopped F1/H1 and am currently focusing on only mobility. My goal for 2016 is the (Chest to Floor) Pancake and Middle Splits. It's better to start with what you're doing now, then trying to do everything and burning out. And when you do get around to F/H, having lots of mobility will make it easier as that won't hold you back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I started Front Split and Side split series in January.  I think I have done each series 3 times now.

I started off really really bad. 

However I have added about 3" to my standing pike in this short time.  These series are pretty brutal for me, but putting in the punishment has produced some great results thus far.

My only problem is my mobility is so bad that I can't do the final stretch in the middle split series.  It's  a work in progress.

Anyone tossing around the idea of getting either of these I highly recommend them.  They are TOUGH but EFFECTIVE 

Edited by Easto
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...