Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE ULTIMATE POWER

DanPlanche

Heh, now I have your attention I would like to discuss the one armed elbow lever to handstand which is, to me, one of my favorite "strength moves". I am not sure wether to call it a press or a push up but as I live in the world of bboying, we call it a one armed handglide to handstand, or a one arm elbow lever to handstand.

Here is an acrobat performing it repeatedly on an elevated surface.

Sorry if I did not post in the right forum.

Anyway, my main question is to ask if anyone knows a good method to train for it?

My ultimate goal would be to do it into a one armed stand or do it repeatedly, obviously on the floor.

I am sure there are many people that would be keen to learn it, as it looks incredibly hard and very few people can do it, and even fewer share information on how to.

At the moment I can do around 10 handstand pushups and do an elbow lever to handstand (with two arms) and back down 5 times in a row. Maybe if I significantly increase the number of HSPUS and EL to HS it will help? but this might not help with what looks like an incredibly explosive movement.

Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.

As you can do the skill using 2 hands, you could train the one-handed version like one trains one-handed handstand, with the weight shifted to one hand, but still using the other hand for balance (and strength-assistance if needed).

As you progress shift more and more weight to one hand until you only need the fingertips of the "free" hand (and eventually don't need it at all).

Hope this helps :)

Guest Ido Portal

Actualy, any work with the two arms will get that skill better but will not transfer at all to the one arm version. They are two completely different animals.

As I am currently working this skill myself, I can provide some insight, but first a couple of questions:

1. Can you hold a one arm elbow lever for at least 30 sec?

2. Can you hold a one arm handstand for at least 10 sec?

If you cannot perform both of these skills for the mentioned times, I suggest you concentrate on building that first. It will give you the most 'bang for your buck' in your current situation.

After being able to do that, working the eccentric portion of the movement combined with small lifts using the leg momentum up and out of the elbow lever position, to increasing heights, until you achieve the complete one arm handstand position.

Needless to say, EXTENSIVE wrist, elbow and shoulder prehab needs to be done prior to this kind of dangerous training, along with two arm strength work on full ROM HSPU, various forms of pulling exercises, and abdominal work. Most Bboys dont know a thing about prehab, but again, most good bboys I know are constantly injured and in pain. Educate yourself through this site and take it as a long term goal.

Enjoying the way is the most important thing with such 'long journeys'. If you cannot enjoy the work and only concentrate on the end goal, you will not reach it.

Good luck,

Ido Portal.

Mikael Kristiansen

Hello,I havent really posted much on this site as I am in circus school at the moment. I am training this movement with a coach, and I can say that it is very hard. The requisites Ido wrote up are crucial, and it shouldn't be attempted without them. One of the reasons why a lot of bboys can do this, is because they are good at the "airchair" and "Jackhammer" moves, which utilizes similar push with 1 arm, and because they use the leg swing a lot. A friend of mine even did it on his first try, but he has very good airchairs.

I agree that the 2 arm one has very little transfer value to 1 arm because of the degree of balance, arm stabilization and power needed. You also need to go up more sideways than you would with 2 arms.

I suggest to learn to lower down before/at the same time, as it will build strength at the bottom of the movement. My coach has me lower down while holding on to an elevated platform or block with the other hand, and I can almost do it without the other hand. Dropping down from an Airbaby with 1 arm is also useful. I got much better at going down from 1 arm after I learned to go down from airbaby.

At the same time you need to build up a very powerful and well-timed swing with your legs to drive you through the hardest part of the movement. For this you should practice on an elevated surface(or a handstand cane) so that your legs can swing deeper and create more force on the way up. On a ledge I can get maybe 70-80% up while on the floor only around 50%, so I think it would be useful to learn on a ledge first.

Look at the clip of Yury Tikhonovich and notice how he forcefully pulls his free arm upward to generate power.This helps getting the upper body up a lot.

I hope my advice helps, and follow Ido's conditioning tips as it is very heavy for the elbow. And please dont listen to those who tell you that it is only momentum in this one, it takes a lot of power and long time to learn.

Guest Ido Portal

Actualy, it is not this clip, the kid is still using a bit of momentum there. I posted another clip of the next generation of handbalancers comming from china, doing incredible feats like shoulder dislocates out and into handstand on canes and press ups from the elbow lever/QDR into a one arm handstand without kicking or jerking.

It is fluting around the forum somewhere,

Ido.

Yeah, thats a skill I definitely wanna get too... maybe we should open a new topic for this one?

Done, put it in Joints and Flexibility. Check there in case someone responds!

• 7 months later...
DanPlanche

Whats up! I am now closer to achieving this move although I think maybe a month or two more. Its not clean though as I have to touch my knees to the floor. I'll post a video soon., I just need a bit more power and leg technique. i ofund practicing while holding on to something helped a lot as well as HSPUs with a lot of lean