Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inverted Hang

Calbear

Im a bigger guy and Im having trouble pulling from a dead hang into an inverted hang on either rings or a pullup bar. What is the best way to train this?

George Launchbury

Hi Calbear,

To clarify: do you mean whilst maintaining a straight body, getting up tucked or just getting up there by whatever means? Also, how did you get on with the front-lever progressions as per the articles section on the main site?

I'll have a guess you mean tucked, since I recall you were just starting out with tuck front-levers a few weeks ago, and suggest you keep working the front-lever progressions, and do some:

1) controlled lowering from inverted to hang staying in tuck position, maybe 5x3 for 5-10 seconds?

2) eventually put in some holds (1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 way down?)

3) try to pull out of some of those positions (start with the top one)

In terms of strength progression with a given load, from easiest to hardest:

> Falling :)

> Negatives (lowering)

> Statics (holding)

> Concentrics (lifting in this case)

You will probably be aware of these concepts, but since it might help others who aren't, I'll expand. Basically if you can't lift a specific weight, you might be able to hold it or at least lower it under control.

Cheers,

George.

Jason Ingram

Calbear,

The easiest way to pull to the inverted position is with bent arms and your body tucked. Try starting with a pull-up first and eventually progress to using less of a pull-up (straighter arms) and less of a tuck.

Here's a progression from easiest to hardest:

1. bent arms, tucked

2. bent arms, piked

3. straight arms, tucked

4. straight arms, piked

5. bent arms, straight body

6. straight arms, straight body

I have a feeling you are trying to do #3, maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I'm mainly referring to levels 3 and 4 as per Jason. For front levers ive just been pulling from a dead hang into a tucked front lever. I just cant seem to get up completely into an inverted hang so that I can work some negatives.