Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice Needed! Front Lever and joints.

norbeex3

Hello Everyone!

Before I begin I'm sorry if this was asked before me.

I started gymnastics training approx. a half year ago and I had a break because of an operation but I'm into it again. My problem is that I started tuck front levers and did some. Two days after my previous Front Lever session I tried it again and now my shoulders are hurting a bit after five or six repetitions. Is this normal? Or do I have weak rotator cuffs? When I started the tuck planche back then It was hurting too but after three or four weeks of painful and careful training it just gone suddenly and I didn't know why was that. What are the possibilities for my pain? And can it be avoided somehow :?:

(Please forgive me for my grammar I'm not American)

I am no expert on injuries or joints, but is sounds like you might be moving too fast or too hard after a layoff. Instead of doing five or six reptitions, just go 3-4 reps for a period of time, to let your muscles and connective tissues to adjust. It is hard to tell from your message whether you are just experiencing soreness, but if you are experiencing actual pain, listen to it and back off. Be patient, start back small.

Joshua Naterman

According to my exercise science major roommate, when pain suddenly disappears it can be a bad sign. It could mean that you damaged something to the point of numbness. Given the time frame, it could have just been muscle adaptation, but when you get shoulder pain you don't keep doing things that hurt it. Instead you strengthen the shoulders for a few weeks, work the other muscles in non-painful ways as well, and then test out the levers and planches. All I know for shoulder prehab is rotator work, stretching, and inlocate/exlocates (which should be done in sets of 50, with the first 10-20 being pretty easy, then each 10 after move your hands in 1-2cm. This way you lube up the shoulder joint and slowly acclimate everything to the increased stretching it has to do).

I hope nothing's wrong, but if I were you I'd pay very close attention to the shoulders, do some extra shoulder work with some dumbbells, and hit that shoulder prehab from now on at least 3 times a week.

Thank you both. The pain is rather just a soreness and it's coming when i'm doing it. After I've done my workout It's starting to disappear after a few hours but at the next workout the soreness is stronger. My planche training was like that too. And sorry for any misunderstanding, when I said the pain just gone suddenly it was like a 2-3 sessions. Not in just one moment. Is it possible that a joint strengthens?

joints and tendons and the connective tissue can get stronger over time. one adapts over time.

Then I hope it will adapt :) Thanks. And I will try the prehab exercises anyway

Joshua Naterman

Yea, the connective tissue adapts. It just takes a long time compared to muscles :P That's because they don't have as much blood going into them, so it takes longer to get the nutrients they need, so they grow slower. That's all.

Keep at it, and good luck!

Tomas Johansson

Have you checked your form, are you able to hold your shoulders into place or are they pulled out during the set?

Have you checked your form, are you able to hold your shoulders into place or are they pulled out during the set?

they are at an angle not 90 degrees with my torso. sorry i'm not native english speaker but is this means they are pulled out?

can it be the problem? I know it's physics but I tought everyone's shoulders are pulled out.