Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

shins hurting with jumping

Aviv Lugtenaar

Aviv Lugtenaar

A frien of mine who only started gymnastics 2 years ago says his shins hurt a lot with jumping. Theysometimes even hurt him with jumping on the air tumbling. He says it's realy his shins, so I don't think it is shin splints. I also have it sometimes but not badly and only when jumping with a plank. If he jumps a lot will it start going away? Or should he realy take care of it?

Joshua Naterman

He needs to strengthen the anterior tibialus. It's the muscle that runs up and down the front of the lower leg. stand with your back to a smooth wall. Place your heels 1 foot away from the wall. Keep your body straight and rise up onto just your heels, by pulling your toes towards your face. These are called heel raises. If over the course of a month these along with specific lower leg flexibility training don't provide significant relief, go see a doctor. Stress fractures are always a possibility, but those surfaces are so low-impact that stress fractures are very unlikely. Any shin pain is usually a result of the anterior tibialus being strained, developing tendonitis, etc. This happens because it's not strong enough to handle the force of the landings. If you strengthen it, you'll feel better, and so will your friend.

A proper regimen is to do a few sets of the heel raises, sets of 10-20, ice the front of your lower leg for 15-20 minutes, apply heat for 30 minutes, and apply heat a few more times over the course of the day. Minimize the tumbling until the pain starts to recede, and build back up slowly while still working the heel raises. They're just part of lower leg prehab to me, you should always do them. As for the ice, the only time you want to ice is immediately after training. Any other time you won't be doing any good, and you still need to use the intense heat right afterwards. What you're doing is using the hot and the cold to contract and expand all the small blood vessels in the area to pump new blood and nutrients into the tissue so it heals faster. It works. Any time besides immediately after training you should just use heat. Cold is only good for acute inflammation(inflammation occuring immediately after significant stress or injury). After 24 hours heat is the answer. That's straight from the ACSM guidelines, as conferred to me by my friend who's rocking all A's in his exercise science classes, and is in his final semester.

Coach Sommers and perhaps a few of the more experienced guys on here know a lot more about the specifics of tumbling injuries than I do, so hopefully they can step in and give advice more specifically geared to the situation of you and that of your friend.

Slizzard is spot on. Just shin splints. Just do lower leg prevention. Walking around on heels, toe raises ( stand on heel on beam and raise toes up and down ). Decrease pounding on lower legs.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea... I hear about this a lot.

Shin splints don't feel like the muscle, they just feel like the bone. They are usually from landing on the heel of the foot instead of the balls of the foot. I got them when I first started front flips... I don't get them anymore. Even though I still land on my heels. One legged ones I land on the balls of my feet, so :P