Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hip pain, probably tendonitis...

Simon Grégoire

Simon Grégoire

Since a few months, I have that pain in the right side of my hip. It's about on top of my femur. It hurt if I put pressure on it with my fingers. It also hurt when I contract voluntarily the side of my butt. Strangely, if I stay up for a while it goes away. But if I sit down on a chair for a while, it'll hurt. And it hurt immediately if I cross my legs.

At first I tought it was minor and it would go away after a while but it didn't. So went to see a doctor but he was pretty clueless, took some RX but didn't see anything wrong. From personal experience, I feel that doctors aren't very useful when dealing with muscular problems...

What should I do? I bet there's a stretching or two for that but I don't know about them...

Thanks in advance!

Simon Grégoire

Thanks for the reply, but I already tried that stretch and it didn't do much. The pain is actually near the surface and not deep. On that pic, it is the spot right next to the table, on the joint of the femur a little behind (Not the red mark).

hip.JPG

The culprit is quite simply spending too much time sitting in a chair. In my opinion, and Robb Wolf's as well, there is literally nothing worse for your hips than excessive sitting in a chair. Possible remedies include:

1) Hip Extensions.

2)

with straight legs. Focus on kicking the glutes out more than demonstrated in the video.

3) Spending more time at a standing work station.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ok looking at the picture that is more clear. I agree with coach sommer you must avoid the aggravating activity.

Most likely it is one of two things. Either a tight iliotibial band or trochanteric bursitis. Though bursitis is much more unlikely as it would be painful on standing most likely as well. If there is some bursitis there then there would be possible redness, swelling, tenderness.

If its a tight iliotibial band then it would need stretching + strengthening of the glute med (glutes at the side of your hip), plus soft tissue work on your ITB (ITB). Be aware do you feel the problem while walking running.

1. stretch for your ITB - http://www.bodyresults.com/_iexer/E2pate4.gif - at least 30 secs to a minute in this position - repeat 2-3 times several times per day.

2. Strength - http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 480-70.jpg - you may need a stretchy band for extra resistance - perform 3 sets until fatigued

or you can do http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/Handou ... s/clam.jpg

Look on google for more comprehensive descriptions of these exercises (t-nation had an excellent glute training article recently)

3. Foam rolling or soft tissue massage for your ITB and glutes in general - weekly at least if able

Your best bet is too go and see a physical therapist (or physiotherapist if like me you live in the UK) as this sort of stuff is their bread and butter. Standard doctors are very good, but this sort of thing isnt there speciality.

Also consider is this aggravated by walking or running - if so you may need to replace your shoes or visit a podiatrist to get yourself some insoles or at least have someone assess your gait (walking)

Cheers

Mikey88

Just re-read your description and saw you said it was near the surface. This is most likely a tight ITB/ weak glute meds as bursitis would generally be deeper inside.

cheers again

Mikey 88

• 2 weeks later...