Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stiffer after flexibility routine

Ali Dawi

It seems that everytime I do my stretching/flexibility sessions I get stiffer. I usually do 2 days a week of it and sometimes one day a week. The day after the session I can't get into a horse stance/wide squat because the muscles around my inner hips/top inner thigh are stiff as hell.

Other than one of my lumbar vertebras being slightly out of place (X-rays show that it has shifted forward a bit) I have no issues. Could this be the cause of my stiffness?

Sometimes when I go into a wide squat I have to stick my buttocks out so I feel no pain in my lumbar area. The wider I go the more I have to stick my butt out.

It's very normal and over time will get better. 

It's very surprising for many people to learn that stretching can make them sore, more sore than working out in many cases.

• Upvote 3

Matthew Jefferys

A stretch is just an isometric exercise. Perform an intense core routine, then try stretching your abs the next day; same deal! 

• 4 weeks later...
David McManamon

One day a week is a bit like the "weekend warrior" going out and training hard once in awhile only to wake up Monday and have trouble getting out of bed.  Try to add more stretching to your normal workouts, a little every day.

• 1 year later...
Christopher Haddock

I know this is an old post, but I was about to write a post on "gymnasticbodies stretching makes me more sore than anything I've done in my athletic career" and saw it first. Guess I'm not alone. I look forward to the three stretching videos each week, but know that (particular for the middle stretch video) I'm going to be really sore after.  Keith

Deb Ludington

I am so stiff within all three stretch series that it takes me awhile to release from a stretch. I actually laugh at myself. Not very fluid yet. Never mind the next day. 

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

Just remember that you'll never be this stiff again :)

Of course next time you will find it somewhere else, but thatll be a new and different experience! :)

• Upvote 4

Suzanna McGee
On April 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Deb Ludington said:

I am so stiff within all three stretch series that it takes me awhile to release from a stretch. I actually laugh at myself. Not very fluid yet. Never mind the next day. 

Ha ha, when I started, I had to stop the follow along video because it took me so much time to get out of the stretch position…. including a proper moaning and groaning and thinking "those youngsters in the video… grrrrr". Anyway, 35 weeks later now, I am following along without stoping the video and no moaning and groaning  :-) almost like the youngsters, yet 30 years older…  Not even getting stiff/sore the day after. Love how the results of consistent work show. 

• Upvote 4

Luke Searra

Well that just goes to show (in our ageist society), that at any age methodical consistency produces results Suzanna. Well done! 

• Upvote 2

Deb Ludington

This is great news Suzanna! So, I will eventually not have to call for my husband to help me roll out of capsule? :lol::D

• Upvote 2

Leo Trinidad

Hi Deb,

I know how this feels. I usually crawl out of capsule. :lol: The beauty about capsule is that you'll use it more often when you get to the later stages of Foundations. :) 

• Upvote 2