Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dips progression without Parallel Bars

Patrick Patterson

Patrick Patterson

Hello all.

I only have access to a dip station in the park and have come to a point where 3 x 5reps of dips is no problem at all and it's clear I need to move on... however in the book all of the subsequent progressions require full parallel bars (I can't do the "Dips PB Russian" on the dip station, or L-sit dips or any of the other ones at all on the dip station) or rings. So, without acess to these, what should my next step be? Weighted dips? Or should I finally get some rings? But even if I get rings, that means I can't do any of the 7 progressions inbetween dips and XR support as listed in the book... is that too big of a jump?

Thanks!

matthew.percussion
All Kinds of Dips on Parallel Bars

Click here for 3 basic dip exercises.

watch out for shoulders, go slowly....

Click here for some swinging dip variations

Click here for some upper arm variations.

First exercise is actualy just swinging (more wider are p.bars harder is for your shoulders and pectoralis),...

Click here for partial swings to V seat.

It's a good triceps burning exercise 8) Turn your elbows in lock position and swing to V seat. When you are lowering legs, don't let the swing go pass the horizontal of your body (with pushing p.bars back)...

Click here for 2 swinging dip with hop variations

When you are jumping, don't let the hips go down...

If you have some wishes what do you wan't to see, I could film some..

Here are a few that gregor posted. Might help.

Patrick Patterson

Thank braindx and matthew.percussion

Unfortunately there are no parallel bars around here (Istanbul, Turkey) at all (well unless maybe in some private gymnastics club somewhere which I can't afford to join now), the only things in parks are these things like dip stations, and they are not really designed for dipping either, I can just fit my hands in a small protrusion and there are plastic balls on either side of where the hands go and... just trust me :D , you can't do anything on these things other than regular dips. I've scoured everywhere all over the place and it's the same in all the parks in the city (I know, I know, just a simple set of p-bars, or even chin-up bars, seems like a given, but nope, nowhere here, believe me, I've looked). Also, you can't buy or order dip stations here (unless shipping from overseas which would be I don't know how expensive)... only other (again expensive) alternative is to go to a welder/iron worker and get a custom made thing... out of my reach financially (and space wise) for now.

So... basically all of the other dip variations in the book, as well as the ones I see in those (great) videos are undoable with what I have access to (no room to swing anywhere, can't put forearms or anything else). Would doing weighted dips for now be a good compromise, or ordering rings and setting them up somewhere and moving next to ring dips, or is that too big of a jump?

Thanks again!

Buy or make a set of rings. You could do weighted dips but that would probably be a real pain in the butt if you are going to the park to do your dipping.

Some simple rope and pvc will make something like rings. Can't do MU but most everything else works. You can make rings by warping pvc in an oven and using cargo straps. Or you just buy some and they feel a lot better. I like texture. Athletic tape on pvc works ok. Or get out a file.

Or just do it right and get some rings. I'm still pretty adamant about the GB rings since I don't want to pay for wooden rings though Gibson has a parent company that sells them but they are way more expensive and my wallet doesn't like that. I have wood rings at the gym anyways and the GB rings feel very good at home or elsewhere. Moreso than most out there.

Patrick Patterson

Thanks BlairBob.

I will go for the rings as soon as I can. In the meantime, I found out I can do the single bar dips by lowering my pull-up bar in my door frame, so although I'm skipping the "russian", "russian L", and "bulgarian" steps, atleast I'm still on the path. Can't really do one single full-motion rep yet, but I guess that's normal. Thanks again all.