Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoe protection

Animalonfire

My problem with handstands is that the layout of my house allows little choice as to where I can practice on a wall (nececary), beyond my garage door. The floor is rough concrete, which I dont think is going to damage my hands long term, but please point out if it might. The wall is a rough wooden garage door. My shoes however are poxy little leather things that respond very badly to ebrasion. How can I protect them from the door of death, or is it going to be nececary to go barefoot on rough ground?

If that is the only way then fair enough.I plan to go barefoot as soon as my toes recover from (open) blisters (Photo's upon request) caused by the very shoes that I am trying to protect(the only decent pair I could find that sympathise with my toes natural desire to splay). Untill then, any Idea's? (I'm experimenting with plastic shopping bags)

I work out in my garage, too. It has a cement floor, but I have mats. I would not recommend doing a lot of work on the cement... it is a very hard material, as is obvious. Even if your body does not feel it immediately, the shocks will add up more quickly. I would look into finding even a small peice of dense foam (nothing too squishy, as it will probably not absord the force of kicking up well, and it may make it too hard to balance) to place near your "wall" for handstand training, especially if a larger mat is not practical.

As for foot wear, I almost always train barefoot. In the winter, I usually wear wrestling shoes for my workouts, for warmth, but for handstand training alone, a cheap pair of slippers with a slight rubber sole might work, especially for protecting the feet against a rough surface or one that might give you splinters. I am also looking to Vibram 5-finger footwear for this next winter. Do a search on-line, and go to their website.

Ok. Old strips of carpet rolled up in other garage. I'm sure to find several HUGE spiders, and rats sleeping inside whatever strip of carpet I designate as my safety mat when I first unroll it. Also to be used for ag walks and windmills so kind of a win win :mrgreen: , except for the thirty seconds of sheer terror that make up the first unrolling (read poking carpet with long stick). But first I have to get it out of the garage :( . My feet have pretty much recovered from blisters now, so I'm off to have a handstand session right now. :mrgreen:

Vibrams are the shit. I have my KSO's on right now! I wear them all the time.

WOW! Those look great! Perhaps my next pair of trainers (My feet have probably stopped growing, but might have half a size still in them). Barefoot for now though :) .

EDIT: Sorry, totally forgot to properly thank all of you. THANKS! :mrgreen: You were all very helpfull.