Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alejandro Gjezi

Alejandro Gjezi

Hey guys, seccond post due to injury... got practically rid of jumper's knee, but somebody up there seems to NOT want me back in action :/

A week ago I had a super-heavy and super-awesome back-training session in my gym...
I did o.a.p training, rows, and other excercises, while pulling my ass off in the weight department...
Everything went great then, up until i felt a pulling sensation in my shoulder...

I kinda ignored it and went home as i was having cervical pain on and off for 2-3 months before this but... Later that night? I couldn't find a position to sleep. It was PAIN at its highest level.

A pain that radiated from my neck and cramped my trapezius, then went to the back of my right shoulder and pulled up to my upper forearm... 2 hours of scarce sleep later, it was even worse, as i had lost 80% of my right arm strength, being unable to raise a bottle of water to drink successfully.

My crushing grip remained strong, everything else, had collapsed.
I went to my physio who did extensive mobilisation and massage (aouch) and i got slightly better, but the root of the problem (cervical pain) and the shoulder pain, along with the inability to lift anything heavier than a glass of water remains...

My physio believes it's Cervical Radiculopathy, probably due to a herniated disk and with my limited experience on the matter, i am very inclined to agree... I'll probably get an mri done asap, but, any ideas to, dunno, get back to where i was? Is osteopathy a legit way to help me get back? Some guys i know from the local oly weightlifting team suggested visiting a chiropractor... What's YOUR take on the matter?

Thanks in advance everybody!

Christoph Pahl

I think patience is the most important, after the MRI you will know more. At the moment I'm also haunted by neck pain, I stretch upper trap (with caution, I do not pull on my head but let gravity work) and strengthen lower trap. Similar to a massage this gives some relieve, but will not cure the cause - which has to be found !

• Upvote 1

Alejandro Gjezi

Thanks for the reply man! My physio says the radiculopathy triggers most likely due to a chronically subluxated upper neck disc and not a herniation as a main problem... If the hernia IS indeed present, it must be very small, he says...
He suggests that I try a good chiropractor though, as he only knows the basics of the discipline from seminars...

Anyway, I've been doing massage therapy in all the muscles in my back to minimize the symptoms and we found a shitload of trigger points i didn't even know they existed hahaha, i was literally "cracking" like those acid pops...

I also had a muscle relaxant shot and some local traumeel and some-other-not-brand-name-thingy-i-cant-remember  to stop all the muscle pain-spasms-improve rom...

All in all I'm much better after the first shocking reaction, yet the most recalcitrant and hateful symptom remains; that of the inpinged nerve which doesn't let me sleep the way i want to (face down) without MANY adjustments to where my head is and what the hell is supporting my neck, and which has left my right hand devoid of strength (well, compared to the strength i usually have) when it comes to most types of grip and forearm movements and up to pulling strength.

My pushing strength (at least when it comes to doing pushups which i tried yesterday for the fuck of it) seems to be okay, but I feel everything around my upper right side "weak" so i'm not training at all right now, I don't think years of overzealous training will go to waste if I skip a month of training, lol, at least I hope so...

(well, to be honest, I'm not stopping my eccentric-isometric progressive rehab excercises for my legs-knees... that I won't stop no matter what... I mean, thrice a week, no interference with my radiculopathy-ish symptoms? I'll keep going cause I'm using extremely expensive peptides to aid the final part of my healing after years of pain and probs and i cant let them go to waste!)

I'm waiting for more info and opinions on the (certified) chiropractors and any other ideas.... thanks, as always, for the replies guys :)

I personally do not recommend using a Chiro, though I understand it may be tempting, neck manipulation is not the answer and poses a host of risks.

A good osteopath however can do wonders, as long as they are the sort that doesn't want to crack you neck.

• Upvote 3

Alexander Egebak

I personally do not recommend using a Chiro, though I understand it may be tempting, neck manipulation is not the answer and poses a host of risks.

A good osteopath however can do wonders, as long as they are the sort that doesn't want to crack you neck.

Chiros do many things, neck manipulation being among them, but also release techniques, massage, stretching and rehab. The chiro I have been to did wonders for my neck and gave me some exercises to remove my tightness.

I agree though that they are no means to an end, and that their treatments may only work temporary if you do not focus on things such as self-massage, stretching, avoidance of certain exercises, rest, low intensity exercising of weak muscle groups etc..

But my chiro also has a university degree along with a decade of experience to add to her practice.

• Upvote 1

Alejandro Gjezi

Thing is, i most likely have a herniated disc... How do i regain my pain-free R.O.M and armstrength back? That's what i need!
I'll be waiting for the MRI now that my muscle system is functional and not in horrible pain (only radiculopathy-symptoms present, everything else is sorted out for the moment, no tightness or knots or whatever)
I've changed my sleep already, I now force myself to sleep looking up like a fucking mummy, it's horrible, but i'm willign to adjust if necessary, i just want to be able to get back to sports goddamn it...
How about Disco-Gel procedure (i think it's called) or even epidural cortisone shots? I've read and heard they give great results to athletes (sometimes long-lasting) and you can get back to your sport with the apropriate precautions...
Any ideas, guys?

... Hey guys, seccond post due to injury... got practically rid of jumper's knee, but somebody up there seems to NOT want me back in action :/

A week ago I had a super-heavy and super-awesome back-training session in my gym...

I did o.a.p training, rows, and other excercises, while pulling my ass off in the weight department...

Everything went great then, up until i felt a pulling sensation in my shoulder...

I kinda ignored it and went home as i was having cervical pain on and off for 2-3 months before this but... Later that night? I couldn't find a position to sleep. It was PAIN at its highest level ... 

Actually the primary issue is not your neck.

It is your inability to follow patient, progressive programming in your workouts.  As long as you continue to indulge yourself with off-the-cuff workouts and too much intensity, these injuries are going to continue as well.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...
Alejandro Gjezi

Coach, thank you for your answer but i must say that, however weird it may sound, both injuries are coming from wrongdoings of the past that haunt me to the day...
And while it may sound as an "apology of sorts" i must add that most of the damage has been done a lot of time ago

Nowdays (aka last 2-3 years) i've been very patient and careful with my training-planning-rehab etc while also helping train people since younger ages to do the same, with astounding results on some :)

To be more exact I've been educating myself for these 2-3 years nonstop in human anatomy, ergophysiology, training, everything, taking advice from people that i trust and respect while also testing the positive results on me and my off-the-reccord trainees...

However with the problem at hand, i've been having cervical problems since i was 14 (a kid, practically) from a bad fall i had while doing some bullshit i shouldn't have been doing, i guess) and then from my bad habits-bodystance... it kept ringinig a bell every 4-6 months with a week or two of neck pain and shit, which started to become more common 2 years ago...

My training was bullshitty from when i was 15 to when i became 17 or so (first year and a half) when i was training alone, following stupid ultra-high vertical-training protocols like air allert (doing them in cement-ground too) not giving a damn about flexibility (i was naturally flexible) and especially dynamic flexibility and lifting weights i couldn't handle with picture-perfect technique too soon, too aggressively...

After that i both found a very knowledgeble coach to help me out of interest for free, and educating myself thoroughly, but some (big) damage like my jumper's knee, a shoulder injury and my cervical problems was already done...
Anyway, thanks for your message anyway, it's good to be reminded that while a bit of ego is great for pumping up your training, doing too much is always a risk-factor