Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Differences between training men and women...

George Launchbury

George Launchbury

...from an adult starter point of view.

My wife has shown an interest in doing some gymnastic conditioning, and I wondered if anyone had any advice on exercise choice, progressions and safety that might differ due to differences in physiology?

After a brief assessment of her strength levels, I am planning to start with: knee-pushups, jumping pullups (with controlled eccentric), wall handstand, BW squats/lunges ...taking things slow core-wise because #2 daughter was only born 10 weeks ago. Probably just hollow/arch holds, side planks and/or some Abmat sit-ups.

Unlike CrossFit, we don't seem to have a strong (if any?) female following here as yet, that I'm aware of, so it's down to asking the trainers what experiences they have had with female clients that don't have a gymnastics background?

Thanks,

George.

Edward Smith

well just like everyone else george what are your wifes goals strength, fitness, physique, etc?

anyway I'd say there are some differences in physiology and such but that probably wouldn't come in until much higher levels of strength. I'd say get her on a schedule like you follow and you recommended for someone (the person who asked for exercises and turned out he had a decent strength level already) except suited to your wife's abilities. I think good exercises to work towards/on would be

press handstands- probably just up to from standing

freestanding handstands- maybe some variations or walking as well

hanging leg raise- hopefully full ones but at least till L

pull ups- good strict form ones

dips- this ones a bit of a maybe just a dynamic pushing movement

that's about all I can think of for now. just from observing the class i coach (i'm a junior coach not fully certified) and the the girls class on friday (that's when i train) there doesn't seem to be very much different just some different exercises (the girls tend not to do rope climbs or ring work etc.) and a bit lighter (volume, intensity). so that's my opion on it. anyway I'm sure as long ashe doesn't or you don't push her to hard there shouldn't be any repercussions (injury, recovery should be pretty much the same).

hope this helps,

Ed

oww and also with the post i'm refering to i tried looking for it (not very much) it's just that it's 4am and not suprisingly i'm a little tired :|

George Launchbury

Thanks Ed,

My bad ...I didn't post her goals, because I was mainly looking for any cautionary information I should be aware of. Could have been a lot clearer on that one. However you were right on the money with where we think her medium term goals should be, especially as she's mostly keen on the handstand stuff!

I'm pretty sure she won't be interested in much ring work over and above rows, push-ups and maybe handstand work and muscle-ups, etc. and like you said - that's a long way off. Mind you, if anyone was going to get hooked on gymnastic strength and conditioning ...it'd be her!

Thanks for your help, and hope you got a good sleep!

Regards,

George.

I'd start the L training slowly and progressively. A tuck hang may even be too much load. Start off with tucked hollow position and maybe some tuck-in's on the back ( similar to floor leg lifts but sometimes called reverse crunches ).

Besides the pushups and rows, I'd have her basic supports on a single rail or parallel bars.

Handstand variants on the wall. Single leg squats and candlestick holds or rock to candle from a sit or a stand ( could be too much ab use there ).

At the gyms I've been at, we've always had the girls do a lot of rope climbs.

I will admit at the last gym I was at, I didn't have my boys do so much rope climbs because we couldn't use the ropes ( them being on floor ) or across the gym. I'd have them work MU progressions instead or have the younger guys do rope climbs and the more seasoned/older guys work MU and front levers.

I always found most of the women in my adult classes to be a little less thrilled about conditioning and more into isolated exercises ( let's do 5 minute abs, etc ) but that could have just been because of the young adult high schooler crowd.

I'd approach any beginning adult the same as a beginning child and work from there adjusting strength level and flexibility and not expecting much of either since many adults come in from a very low active lifestyle or were not into sports as a youth.

George Launchbury

Thanks for your advice Blairbob.

Luckily she's used to being pretty strong and likes to push boundaries. She's not really a single exercise kind of girl either, which will keep things interesting. We'll probably head over to our Osteopath and check that her bones/joints are all getting back to normal following the pregnancy as well, since that does funny things to you!!

Cheers,

George.

• 4 weeks later...
George Launchbury

Hey Ed,

Just been working on some basic conditioning and handstand work, but been hard finding time with the kids, and then we've all been ill for a week or so. When we get something a little more regular up and running, I'll try and post a workout log (if it's OK with her, obviously)?

Thanks for your interest,

George.