Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ankle flexibility.

Aslak Berg

Hi,

I’m new on this forum. It’s good to finally find a forum so closely aligned with my own interests. I have some questions I’m hoping people can help me with. Overall my flexiblity is ok (but certainly not fantastics. However, ever since I was a toddler I’ve had terrible ankle flexibility to the point where it’s had an effect on my gait. Following a bodyweight program for the last five months has really motivated me to finally try to fix it at the age of 33.  Basically what I’m doing now in addition to warm-up and cooldown when I work out 4-5 times a week is to try to stretch using an adjustable slant board. Basically this means just standing straight with my foot dorsiflexed and I can adjust the angle as I progress. At first I did 1-2 minute holds, but didn’t improve much, but after moving to 5-minute holds I’m finally noticing progress. I can now stretch at 16 degrees, which isn’t great, but that represents real progress to me. I do these 5-minute holds 5-10 times a day.

So basically my questions are:

1. Am I overdoing it? It seems like a lot of stretching and I don't want to risk injury. 
  2. Do I need to add more variety in my stretching. I’m basically stretching with my knees extended. Do I need to add stretches with my knee bent, or will the stretching I do now target both the gastrocnemius and soleus?

Sounds like good progress! Most people do not put in the duration of work needed to realize connective tissue changes. The next step seems to be adding variety and a consistant program that addresses dynamic strength in the new range as well as bent knee, ankle mobility. There is a stretch series through GymnasticBodies that addresses this nicely as well as the Fundamental leg strength work in the foundations program.

Best of luck,

Ryan

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tips! I looked at the stretch series, but didn't buy it because based on the description I didnt think any of them focused on the ankles/calves- Knowing it's in there makes the decision easier, I'll get the front split course this weekend. I want to get the foundations/hand stand program later, but can't because I'm a bit short on cash and either way I want to finish the program I'm on (Mark Lauren's You are your own gym) because I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about finishing things.

​Please feel free to let us all know how your ankles/calves felt following your first front split stretching session :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Matthew Jefferys

I'm saving up for the front splits course still, so I can't comment on that, but I will offer some help depending on the situation. In which direction is your range of motion restricted? Is it dorsiflexion? If so, stretching your calves will obviously help, but if a 'jamming' feeling occurs at the front of your ankle, then you have talar issues, and simple stretching won't help. Investigate "talus mobilisation" and see if that helps at all.