Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Engaging shoulders-pullups

gymrob

Hi all,

Does anyone know if when doing chin ups/ pullups of any kind if you are supposed to contract your shoulders into their sockets before you actually pull? In effective its the opposite of handstand with you extend your shoulders.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is related, but it might be. A friend of mine noticed that when doing pull ups, if one relaxes the core, it is almost impossible to pull up at all. Does anyone know why that is (just out of curiosity)?

• 1 month later...

Dont quote me on it but I think I read in one of Pavels books about it being due to spill over of CNS activation. Ive studied a bit of neuroscience aswell and I think if you try using a limb without tensing the core its like water trying to get through a dam. If all the watergates are open then its easier for water to pass down-river. Plus having a solid base for your limbs means less power is lost in bending of your trunk. Like a racing bike as supposed to a down-hill mountain bike. Ever notice you loose all the power of the pedalling in the bouncing of the suspension? Wheras on a racer it's rigid so all the power gets to the wheel.

John Sapinoso
Yes

Agreed.

I'm not sure if this is related, but it might be. A friend of mine noticed that when doing pull ups, if one relaxes the core, it is almost impossible to pull up at all. Does anyone know why that is (just out of curiosity)?

maybe it's tense without my knowing just out of habit, i'll have to try relaxing purely out of curiosities sake.

Because when you do a pullup, if your middle is sloppy you won't be able to finish the pullup. Your body has to move behind the bar/rings as you pull. Even slightly behind if you are on rings. Behind the back pullup would be different.

You can either arch it or hollow it, but it is to become stable somehow.

CF would say ya gotta " stabilize the midline " during a pullup, even a kipping pullup.