Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question on Progressions

Jeremy Frias

I just read Building the Gymnastic Body, and I am going to try to build a new routine around the concepts presented in the book. I found the book to be extremely useful in dealing with progressions and different types of pulling, pressing, core, legs, and static progressions. I'm going to start using a lot of these progressions in my own training, but I have one major question:

When using one progression of an exercise, is it ok to just omit the earlier progressions (the "easier" ones as described in the book)? For example, I can already perform Bulgarian ring dips with competency. Does this mean that an earlier variation, such as the Korean dip, would not be useful to me anymore?

Another example: I can do Bulgarian Ring Push Ups with relative ease, so does that mean that I can just ignore this variation and continue work with, say, Pseudo Maltese Push Ups on rings? The PMPU is rated higher on the difficulty scale in the book (and I agree), but they seem to be such different movements that I'm not sure if it would be wise to simply "move on" from Bulgarian Push Ups to PMPUs.

You can use combination, ex. doing 3x3 of the difficult exercise and than 2x8 of the easier one.

And you can do, 1 time a month for ex., an endurance workout doing simple things (ex. 10x10 dips, 10x10 bulgarian pushups)

I see what your saying. But if, for example, I train the more difficult Pseudo Maltese Push Ups exclusively and start to see improvements, will that carry over and make my Bulgarian Push Ups stronger without any specific training?

Thanks for your reply! :)