Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Program design: Overload, load and underload

George Launchbury

By the way, have any of you tried Westside Barbell style of training? I did for a few months and it was great for my lifts. I know this is a little off subject considering this has to do with gymnastics but what I am really referring to is the "wave method" of overloading.

If nobody knows what I am talking about I will expand on it.

I have also been interested with the Westside philosophy. I'm not sure it fits in well with gymnastic training. I tried something, altough I was very disorganized (skipped workouts etc.). What I did for a while was nothing but dips. So, I worked in an idea of using pseudo planche pushups as my maximal effort day, dips as my repetition method, and pushups as my dynamic effort day. I did this for maybe 4 weeks. My pushups got more explosive, I was able to move my hands back a little in pseudos, but my dips stayed the same despite it feeling harder to rep out. I think in order for Westside to shine you need to be working the same exercise for both DE and ME, or the transferability between the two exercise has to be very high.