Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best gymnastic strength exercises for a weightlifter?

Austin Phillips

Austin Phillips

Hey everyone,

I've been reading these forums for a while but have never posted ... until today!  So I am a weightlifter; for those who might be unaware this means that I compete in the snatch and the clean and jerk.  I did some gymnastics as a child, but not at a high level, and taking a gymnastics physical activity class as a part of my kinesiology degree has reminded me how incredibly fun it is.  I'm looking to start adding Gymnastic Strength Training™ into my training to hopefully complement my weightlifting, from the perspective of shoulder stability, core and connective tissue strength, and flexibility.  I would love to  divide my attention equally and develop all  of my gymnastic skills, however as a full time student working part time who is heavily involved in sport already my training time is rather limited.  

For those of you here that are much more knowledgeable about GST than I, what gymnastic exercises do you think might give me the most "bang for my buck" in terms of accomplishing the goals I outlined above (shoulder stability, connective tissue strength, etc.)? 

I see videos of Chinese weightlifters doing  a ton handstand pushups and logic alone would tell me that developing a great handstand would have obvious benefits.  

As for my level of conditioning and familiarity with gymnastic movements, I am currently able to perform:

- a non-arched back handstand for around 45-60 seconds 

- several freestanding handstand pushups (rather inconsistent with balance!)

- 1 to 2 strict muscle-ups 

- bent-arm press to handstand on parallettes 

- I am reasonably flexible, I can still do the front and side splits.

- I am incredibly weak and inexperienced on the rings, I struggled  considerably today with just  the support position.

Sorry for the novel of a post ... and thanks in advance for any advice anyone has to offer!

• Upvote 1

Toni Laukkavaara

I have no clue, but i reckon that you need to be able to do the basic conditioning exercises first before training strength skills

• Upvote 1

I think you should buy Foundation and Handstand series, there you will find the exercises you're looking for. I have been involved in Weightlifting for around 1 month and 20 days coming from a GST background with gymnastics bodies and at the moment everything is going great. If you have any questions you can send me a PM.

• Upvote 2

I would recommend F1 and H1 once a week. All the stuff that gives you a good core and open shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Austin Phillips

Thanks everyone, I'll look into purchasing Foundation and Handstand for sure.  Press to handstand seems like it would be huge.  I'd like to learn the straddle planche, I'm a ways off as I can only hold the tuck for about a second lol; one of my friends trains only bodyweight movements and seeing him do it with ease is awe inspiring.  How much difference does being quite bottom heavy make in being able to do a planche?