Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special HS Move

norbeex3

Hi Ido! I love your video and I want to ask something. There is a move when you are in a handstand and then you lean forward but still stay in HS. I do not know what it is called. It's at 0:15. Would you be so kind and tell me how can I train for that move and how can I do it? I would thank you very much.

6_eTg6gMTE0

norbeex3

I am not Ido but...

Ido goes from an arched yogi handstand to a bent arm planche/elbow lever HS.

Yogi HS requires a lot of active flexibility in the shoulder as you are balancing out the shoulders and chest pushing one way by counterbalancing with the legs as the opposite lever.

elbow lever/bent arm planche should be in the Bower progression.

Start by learning a frogstand, a tucked elbow lever ( stick your elbows into your stomach or ribs and lean into your shoulders ). As well work handstand to frogstand and tucked elbow lever and eventually straight or straddled elbow lever as well as working the "up"-phase or concentric part.

Guest Ido Portal

Blairbob,

first, the progression to Bower is different than elbow lever work. Bower are usualy much harder and are different in nature - Elbow lever is not a strength movement - you lean on your elbows and it is about balance and support. (the bower lower position is held with not contact of the elbows and the abdomen)

Second, the question was about the move prior to the elbow lever, what in Equilibre circles is called 'The Mexican'.

The Mexican is an active flexibility movement. I aproach its training in two ways:

1. Dynamic leans in and out of the position, starting and ending in Handstand, first arch the lower back and after locking out this position - with contracted butt and abs, lead with the chest into and out of the movement, only lowering to a point of control. Perform 3-6 reps.

2. Static Isometric holds in the Mexican position. Anything from 5-15 sec is good, hold in a position where you can control the body.

At first you will not be able to breath in the position, after enough practice, the soft tissue and muscles between the ribs will expand, become more pliable and will allow shallow breathing inside the position.

Of course, a prerequisite is a normal freestanding handstand.

This is a great movement for back bending active flexibility development. For strong and tense people, it will produce optimal results in back bridging flexiblity development, due to the incredible strength gains possible in this extreme range of motion.

I have noticed that when it is possible to load a big percentage of your body weight into the muscles and near the current possible end of your range of motion, flexibility gains will come quickly and remain much more stable and useable than normal passive stretching. It is mainly the question of finding those positions and movements that allow such parameters to be present.

I am not Ido but...

Ido goes from an arched yogi handstand to a bent arm planche/elbow lever HS.

Yogi HS requires a lot of active flexibility in the shoulder as you are balancing out the shoulders and chest pushing one way by counterbalancing with the legs as the opposite lever.

elbow lever/bent arm planche should be in the Bower progression.

Start by learning a frogstand, a tucked elbow lever ( stick your elbows into your stomach or ribs and lean into your shoulders ). As well work handstand to frogstand and tucked elbow lever and eventually straight or straddled elbow lever as well as working the "up"-phase or concentric part.

Thank You. It is not a problem that you are not Ido :D

The move I wanted to learn is the Yogi Handstand. Can you tell me some more about it? You said it's about flexibilty and counterbalance but could you please give me some tips on progression and some further information?

Blairbob,

first, the progression to Bower is different than elbow lever work. Bower are usualy much harder and are different in nature - Elbow lever is not a strength movement - you lean on your elbows and it is about balance and support. (the bower lower position is held with not contact of the elbows and the abdomen)

Second, the question was about the move prior to the elbow lever, what in Equilibre circles is called 'The Mexican'.

The Mexican is an active flexibility movement. I aproach its training in two ways:

1. Dynamic leans in and out of the position, starting and ending in Handstand, first arch the lower back and after locking out this position - with contracted butt and abs, lead with the chest into and out of the movement, only lowering to a point of control. Perform 3-6 reps.

2. Static Isometric holds in the Mexican position. Anything from 5-15 sec is good, hold in a position where you can control the body.

At first you will not be able to breath in the position, after enough practice, the soft tissue and muscles between the ribs will expand, become more pliable and will allow shallow breathing inside the position.

Of course, a prerequisite is a normal freestanding handstand.

This is a great movement for back bending active flexibility development. For strong and tense people, it will produce optimal results in back bridging flexiblity development, due to the incredible strength gains possible in this extreme range of motion.

I have noticed that when it is possible to load a big percentage of your body weight into the muscles and near the current possible end of your range of motion, flexibility gains will come quickly and remain much more stable and useable than normal passive stretching. It is mainly the question of finding those positions and movements that allow such parameters to be present.

Yes that was the move I meant and thanks for answering my question. I have a good freestanding handstand but can I train it near the wall or is it optimal only when it's trained freestanding. (when I say near the wall I'm not leaning on it just stay in front of it in case if I would fall over)

Guest Ido Portal

I prefer you to develop the ability to smoothly lower under partial control out and back to a bridge, than to practice against the wall.

I have mentioned before, I like to teach and condition an athlete/artists with the art of breakfalling and escaping from dangerous situations than to rely on protective gear, spotting or just plainly... taking risks. It comes from my nature of prefering to have the 'wheel in my hands'. (I am not good with relying on other people with my own security)

I plan to release a dvd on the subject 'The Art of Breakfalling In Acrobatic Practice'.

This is my method, but there are many ways to skin a cat. (Gymnastics coaches prefer spotting for example)

Ido.