Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To much walking? Or not...

Micha Trejgis

Hello Mates!

I have a very important question to ask you. Do you think that walking two times a day a distance of 5 km (walking with my dear dog :)) with a 4-5km/h tempo have any impact on GB training progress?

Thanks 4 your answears :)

post-9948-0-37820800-1442299624_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Enjoy the time outdoors.

Often this point doesn't get the attention it deserves. Especially now that winter is coming (at least for me) the time spent outside is going to decrease a lot. Every excuse that can get you to spend time outdoors is good, put your coat on and embrace it! ;)

Murray Truelove

Hello Mates!

I have a very important question to ask you. Do you think that walking two times a day a distance of 5 km (walking with my dear dog :)) with a 4-5km/h tempo have any impact on GB training progress?

Thanks 4 your answears :)

I walk about the same as you five days a week. The most important thing to remember is to adjust you calorie intake. Based on your height and weight it can be an additional 500-800 calories (I've been unable to find an accurate estimation), depending on your goals you might find you have to eat a lot more to be in a calorie surplus.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You'll be fine. You may be sore initially, but that will pass over time if you keep with it. I live in NYC. Moved here a year ago. I remember the first week or so of moving here I walked about 6.5 miles one day and was absolutely destroyed. Now, however, I can easily manage to walk 5 miles and do a foundation workout; or walk 4 miles, a stretch routine, and a 2.5-mile run on an 'off' day. Your body will naturally adapt, just don't start off with a 10-mile trail run with your pup and you'll be fine. 

The added benefits of vitamin D, fresh air, and exposure to nature will do your body good in a number of other ways, too (in addition to, yes, helping your GST).

• Upvote 5

Nicholas Sortino

but if he is walking a lot in slopes, it can keep him sore from his legs workout right ?

I wouldn't worry much about this unless he is being extreme.  The vast majority of people don't walk nearly enough.  Walking more is probably one of the most positive changes most people can make.

• Upvote 2

Lol, i do exactly like you do for 3.5 years right now(since i get a dog) + i do cardio 2-3 times for a week and that never interupted my strenght training and i never felt sore from that walk.

Ps nice doog. :D

Jacob Morsbøl

I think even adding a cup of tea and maybe a little biscuit or some fresh fruit as a post-walking-with-dog-shake would have benefits in almost any aspect of life.

• Upvote 1

Iv just started Foundation One and walk with my dog roughly the same amount as you. I would'nt worry about it affecting your GST, infact it'll probably help your recovery.

Oh, it will do wonders for you and your dog, unless your dog will run at the sight of another dog or a patch of grass like mine. Then in that case, prepare for a bad time.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Micha Trejgis

Oh, it will do wonders for you and your dog, unless your dog will run at the sight of another dog or a patch of grass like mine. Then in that case, prepare for a bad time.

My dog loves hunting for everything that moves :) We have boars and deers just outside our house in the morning (and we live in a big city 632000 population) :) 

• Upvote 1

My dog loves hunting for everything that moves :) We have boars and deers just outside our house in the morning (and we live in a big city 632000 population) :)

My maltipoo loves chasing squirrels and messes with the neighbor's cat. It's was funny until the cat almost swiped her face, and that was the last time we walked near our neighbors.