Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

long head tricep problem

Mouclier Victor

Mouclier Victor

my triceps hurt at it's insertion in the shoulder, it all started with a lat stretch (not hard at all) where i started to feel a little burning sensation, this was a week ago, now i can't do any movement without pain there.

is it an elongation ?

i am at rest for 7 days now, it has seems to be almost healed yesterday, but today i tried to stretch very very carefully and it feels like i'm back to the beggining now :unsure:

please help me, stopping working out it's psychologicaly really hard for me, i need it !

Just let it rest more, seven days it's not enough for anything more than a superficial injury. I noticed that only after about two weeks body starts to heal and I can see a daily difference. Just be patient and work on other parts of the body while you recover.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Rest my friend, rest rest and rest, do not use it. I got it while doing a spotting exercise with a kid and in order to hold him in the position I feel a sort of contraction. on the following day the sensation was like a normal doms, but when i tried to do a pullup the arm seems to lose all of the pulling initial strength . it takes time if you do not stop immediately.

• Upvote 1

Mouclier Victor

thank you very very much guys !

will pause longer, as you said : no choice.

When i get back to training, people always say "start again slowly" but what does it mean ?

is dropping one progression of each exercise i was doing  ok ?

Edited by Bosco

For triceps, I'd go back to PE1 or PE2 if a full set there feels ok then try a set of PE2 etc.

You know how this feels when it goes wrong for you, so stop at the first sign and either roll back a step form there or just stop for the day and pick up from the previous steep next time. Make sure to always do a through warm up on very easy steps.

Might take a few weeks or more to ramp it back up. Be patient, you will get back to where you were and move forward, you just need to be smart now.

• Upvote 1

"start again slowly" but what does it mean ?

Start with low impact high repetition movements (40 at least) and apply ice after the rehab session. You should notice that the session does not make it worse. Start increasing load and decreasing the reps and keen an eye on injury. Even one rep on 100 % of your usual intensity will likely reinjure you , so  take your time with lower weights. If you don't reinjure yourself you'll be in business much faster than if you do, so be patient.. 

• Upvote 1

Rest and if you want to you can do very very easy triceps exercises just to increase blood flow in that area which will speed up your recovery.

• Upvote 1

Mouclier Victor

Thanks a lot for the advices !

it feels a lot better today ( massage benefits i think)

after a bit more rest   i will definetely  stick to high reps for sure. 

actually i'm more afraid by stretching then by strenght training

i saw a medic today, he said that i'ts probably a supeficial tear that should'nt cause any sequels.

• Upvote 1

Mouclier Victor

everything was fine on fryday, i worked out on saturday, no pain at all.

i tried it again and i think i re injured myself : i feel an intense stretch all over the triceps while dead hanging or handstanding ( basically everythin that involves having my arms straight over my head)

REST. <_<

Edited by Bosco

REST. <_<

You are learning your body signals,  and the sooner you adjust your workouts to its needs, the sooner you will get results (i.e. progress without getting injured). Slow and steady does it. There are proven templates. I myself haven't purchased the Foundation series yet, but if you read testimonials you know it's a proven system to let you progress safely.  Body WILL get strong and flexible if you do it right and it WILL get hurt if you do it wrong. 

Mouclier Victor

what the f--- ?! i am doing nothing for more then a week since i re-injured and now it's like i got a new elongation on the opposite arm (the one that was always fine ) do i have some sort of cancer or what ?! i am only 19 yrs old and i strain a muscle without working out how is it possible ?!

the arm that was injured is healed so i was plaining to train tommorow but pfff... now the other is strained also... i don't understand

in the addition : it has been more then a month without a real workout, could i experiment permanent strenght and joint conditionning loss ?

edit : i don't have a physical job, i am at university and i can't remember having done a brutal movementor something dangerous...

Edited by Bosco

Not unusual.  You are simply experiencing the joy of continuing to pay for your previous indiscretions.  ;)

As you have rested, the other triceps, which was clearly over worked also, has merely begun to heal as well.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mouclier Victor

thank your for your answer coach, but i still don't understand how i can get a new elongation at complete rest.

Do i have a problem with scar tissue ?

Edited by Bosco

When you say you have injured your other arm without doing anything, how did you discover you injured it?

I would have to agree with Coach Sommer, it sounds like you have a lot of tightness up in the axilla and shoulder that has pre-existed for some time.

You used dead hanging as an example above, this not only stretches the long head of triceps, but it also puts significant strain upon latissimus, teres major and teres minor, which attach all close by to the long head of triceps. Just because one muscle has been strained does not mean that the others are not part of the issue too. Muscle strains can take more than 6 weeks to fully recover and tendons even longer. Do not re test by going straight to a dead hang, you can stretch your arms above head lying supine, prone, standing etc without the need to load with your full bodyweight. 

• Upvote 1

Mouclier Victor

Wes tan, i leaned Under a table when i was cleaning my room and while using my arm to get up i recognized the same strain i used to have in the other tricep :facepalm:

the overhead stretch on the floor doesn't hurt, what is really painful is the tricep stretch when the arm get behind the head.

last month i got a little contracture in my latissimus, it's not a coincidence.

very pertinent, thank you !

I bet a good lunch you just jump to high intensity exercises Bosco. Warmup is a must, also proper progressions... Otherwise you pay with injuries :/

Mouclier Victor

ok step III now : when putting my shirt this morning i re-strained the left triceps, so now both arms are elongated at the same time.

i'm seriously desperate... in this fashion i don't know if i will get back to training one day

edit : C.Marivs, no i never did that, i've always been careful with progressions, in case of stagnation i would preferably drop one progression than jumping one step further.

Edited by Bosco

Mouclier Victor

i have no more pain in triceps.

now when i try to do pull ups i got a discomfort in the teres minor at the bottom,close to the dead hang, what should i work on ? 

It's weird bcz pull ups are not hard at all, i did 12 easy full ROM reps.

edit : i am followed by seriously uncompetent people in the medical area , the only good advices i get comes from Gymnastic Bodies, so please what's your rehab advices ?

Edited by Bosco