Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New to GB - How Often Can I Stretch?

Andrew Greenblatt

Andrew Greenblatt

Hey GB Community, 

It's great to be here. I played basketball in college and have had stints doing CrossFit and Athletes Performance workouts, so I'm relatively in shape, but from a gymnastic perspective I'm about as beginner as it gets. I started by purchasing GB's Stretch package which provides detailed routines for Front Splits, Middle Splits, and Thoracic Bridges. 

I'm wondering, how often can I actually stretch?

They recommend doing the routine once per week...does that mean I can stretch 3 days per week...one day for Front Splits, one day for Middle Splits, and one day for Thoracic Bridges?

Or is that too much to take on at once? Should I just stick to one routine, once per week. If so, which one?

Andrew

There is nothing stopping you from doing lighter sessions in between if there are stretches you find particularly good for you, but each course 1* / week is sufficient and plenty for most of us :)

• Upvote 1

Run through the follow along video for each one the first time you do it. Coach talks about how often to train, if it's too much, etc. Plus you can get a feel for the courses and how your body responds to make a more informed decision that way.

Laine Rinehart

I suppose like anything it depends on how your body responds and adapts over time. Once a week might be enough at first but as you recover quicker you can continue to stretch more and more often. In ashtanga we practice six times a week and eventually what was once challenging provides a sense of calm and is therapeutic.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

No. To the above. Do each stretch series once a week. They are seriously intense if done correctly. Orders of magnitude beyond the im's. The stretch series are meant to work integrally with the Handstand and Foundation courses, whether or not you've bought those, but they shouldn't be done more than what is prescribed. If you want more stretches and more mobility get Foundation 1 and go for it.

Laine Rinehart

Fair enough but I would say it all depends on what your goals are. The most flexible people in the world stretch and stretch often. Granted it may not be the original poster's goal to become as flexible as possible but there certainly can be great gains in flexibility and mobility if you do focus on it that often.