Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstands and Ganglions

AdamAlmight

New GB member, 
Recently I have been getting into handstands and Gymnastic Strength Training™, and I've found that an old injury (ganglion cyst on back of wrist) is really limiting my mobility and adds discomfort to my handstand training. I was wondering if anybody could offer advice on getting rid of the cyst, increasing mobility in my wrist, or if anyone has had a similar problem how they dealt with it. It's become quite frustrating, pls help. :) 
Thanks.

Hello,

I had one of this some months ago, it was a pain and really held the training back.

I scheduled a medical appointment to take a look at this, but a few days before the appointment I did a handstand that just popped the cyst and it never came back.

The doctor just said that it might come back someday but it has been good until now.

I can't help you with more information than this. =(

i have the same problem and have had it about 8 years.  i couldnt even do a knee push up with flat hands it was to painful. so for many years i did everything on my knuckles.  i started rock climbing which helped significantly in helping the pain go away which allowed me to at least do some regular push ups but what has really helped strengthen it the most was the wrist series in H1.  i started from the very beginning and did it religiously, never pushing too hard. took some months but after a while i could kick into a handstand pain free and with greater mobility.   I stopped training handstands for a while and have just gotten back into it recently.  i always make sure to warm up my wrists thoroughly with the wrist series now and yesterday i held my longest handstand ever (almost 1.5 mins).  every now and then i feel tightnes in my wrists but all i have to do is move them around a bit/ stretch  and they are good again.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Matthew Jefferys

I have a cyst in the back of my wrist that was ganglionic (is now fibrous) that made handstands very painful. Try bashing it with a heavy book to burst it. Whether it works or not, rest your wrist for about a month (only do light exercise). Think of it as "lower body month". Then move onto more strenuous exercise. As a previous user mentioned, the H1 series is awesome for that; specifically the wrist drills that focus on strengthening the wrist extensors (back/top of the forearm).