Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pain when stretching shoulders with wall extension

Simon Grégoire

Simon Grégoire

I've been using Wall Extensions for quite a while now in order to get my stiff shoulders more flexible. I also use Pavel Tatsouline's overhead reach stretching for those who knows about it.

Anyways, something's been bothering me with both methods. I get a pain running from around the top of my shoulder to its attachment in the upper portion of the arm while doing them. It goes away after about a minute or two after the stretch. It can't possibly be normal?

Yesterday I red an article about pectorals stretching and something about irritating the anterior shoulder capsule if not done right.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/the_right_way_to_stretch_the_pecs

Is there something I could be doing wrong? Is the article can be applied to the 2 stretches I'm doing?

Thanks in advance!

You been resting/icing/massaging?

There's not enough information here to tell anything.

Maybe pec tendonitis.

If you want a more definite diagnosis see a doc.

It is more than likely simply a case of too much intensity (too much ROM or too much volume etc etc) during the movement. Joint prehab and active flexibility will improve at a much slower rate than maximal strength and should NOT be approached with the same level of intensity. To attempt to do so will almost certainly result in an overuse injury.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer