Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Acl strengthening

DanPlanche

Hey guys long time scince I been here and a lot has changed in my training, basically I was training wrestling and tore my Acl in 2013, then was also hit with cancer so have only really just got back to trainjng the past year.

I had the surgery a year late but did some rehab before. I'll try and make this short as possible .

Basically I came back from the surgery and had one boxing match and one freestyle wrestling match with no problems . I'm back to wrestling practice and it seems ok . I have been doing lots more leg work and I have managed to get back to a 140kg ATG squat with no bounce and a 190kg deadlift at 82kg

I do hamstring curls and balance work while passing a Kettlebell hand to hand to keep me off balance . The surgery leg has a larger glute (compensation ) but a smaller quad marginally and a much smaller hamstring . Ps I had hamstring tendon surgery.

Basically I was practicing the 540 kick and it still feels loose , but I can feel the Acl working . The other day my coach threw me and as I moves through the air it felt kind of loose again. It seems to get better the more rehab I do. The right hamstring is now more flexible than the left.

I have fairly tight hams and hips from grappling. I'm wondering what are the best excercises to strengthen an Acl . Ps I had the surgery a year ago . It feels like it works but I think needs more stability . Maybe I need to build my hamstring to twice the strength ?

Jason Dupree

Foundation series has an amazing knee conditioning series in the SLS mobilities. Its purpose is to strengthen meniscus, acl, etc.

• Upvote 2

Joseph Blazuk

I'm assuming you did PT after?  Keep up those exercises.  Proprioception (balance) is critical for ACL.  If it's still bothering you, go talk to your surgeon again and/or see a different one - ask what their ACL volume is, the more the merrier.  Even with an intact graft, if it was placed too vertically you can have rotational instability and if it's symptomatic may require a revision unless you want to give up side-side/cutting activities.  PS it does take about one year to get back to your previous full activity level.  If you are still having issues, would be a much better idea to check in with your surgeon before taking online forum advice.

• Upvote 1

Thanks I'll book for my surgeon. Again , but out government keeps cutting money to the hospitals.

I can move side to side and jump on to platforms pretty good, it's when I'm doing a kick and my leg is moving fast through the air or sometimes it wobbles when I get kicked in it .

Ps what is foundation Series and sls?

• 3 weeks later...
Matthew Jefferys

Ps what is foundation Series and sls?

The Foundation Series (training routine) available from here Gymnastics Bodies. SLS refers to the leg routines.