Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maximal Strength Only / Or Reps

Sean Matsuda

Sean Matsuda

Sorry for the long post.

I have been working on basic gymnastics strength movements. All the movements I do is maximal strength ( one rep, or whatever I can hold for 3-7 seconds, I take as much rest time as I want, sometimeseven more than 10 minutes. ) If I can do something easily for 2 or 3 reps, or hold something for 10 seconds, I move on to a harder variation.

I have been seeing good results as far as strength increase, I am on my way to getting a front lever, back lever, and slowly getting better at other things. But lately I have been wondering what would happen if I add a little more reps into the equation?

I notice ( because of how I trained my muscles ) that I will be able to do something pretty good for my size and limb length, but as soon as I hit the 3 reps range, I can't go on any longer, it's my first 2 reps are butter, than it's like I become a little girl right after.

For example, I can do a one arm chinup ( assisted , but my assist hand is very low, below my waist, which obviously diminishes the assist hand's help ) but I can barely to 5-7 chinups... stuff like that.

Or another example, I can almost hold a pole dragon flag for few seconds, but if I do reps of a weaker version of dragon flag, I cant do much.

I used to think that, as long as I can do something hard for one rep or hold it for 10 seconds, then I should be able to do an inferior version of the movement easily, but it seem not to be the case, because I trained my muscles to be Type 2 only ( only for maximal strength, super fast twitch, short burst )

I am thinking about adding in rep training ( 5-10 reps, wait about 20 seconds, do another exercise that hits different body parts for 5-10 reps, so on and so one for 3 exercises that vary in muscles used, then wait 2 minutes, and go again ).

Would doing that hinder my maximal strength progress? Since I will be training my muscle fibers to get used to endurance, which might take away from the maximal strength. I realize that my muscles is only Super fast twitch, and in reality, I like short burst abilities / training the most, but another side of me is contemplating a what if? what if I add in rep training at the end of my maximal training sets? 

Or would it SOMEHOW actually do the opposite? and why? 

I appreciate anyone who actually took the time to read this and help me out.

Sean Matsuda

Well here we recommend a lot more than 1 rep or 3-7 secs per set.  Like a lot more :).

I see, I train like that because I wanted to quickly acquire the strength to get to do the higher level movements. Since Maximal strength / very low reps is the fastest way to gain pure strength, although it works nothing for endurance. I felt I had to make a choice, either combine endurance and strength and become "OK" at both but not great a neither, or do mostly endurance and be weaker at maximal strength, or do Maximal only and have bad endurance, I chose the latter.

But I am thinking , maybe doing all the other stuff I can only do for like 3-7 reps at the END of my workout would be beneficial / carryover to my overall calisthenics skill and strength. I had that Dragonball mindset like, "why work on longer regular vsit holds if I can hold a very high Vsit for 2-3 seconds, just work my way up from there. Or  why work on ring dips if I can do 1-2 ring muscle, just work my way up from there, etc etc.    I just don't want my muscles and nervous system to get too used to higher rep training and thus lose some of my maximal strength, but I'm thinking if maybe doing the lower level stuff at slightly higher reps would ACTUALLY help.

I am interested to see how you guys approach this, if you value maximal or more strength endurance or both.

Stephen Majerle

If you review the GB roadmap, foundation which is basic strength comes before rings, which is maximal strength. The hold times and reps in basic strength are much longer than what you're doing. Generally speaking if you can only manage a hold for a couple seconds you're not ready to be training that hold and time would be better spent on an easier progression for longer time.

Jonathan Pettit

The GB approach is MASTERING an exercise, which means multiple sets of perfect reps or time holds.  The absolute minimum is 5x5, and many exercises request much more.

Also, the goal of GB training isn't getting to the end position in the fastest route.  The goal is to create a strong, mobile body that has no weaknesses.  We milk an exercise for every last drop of strength and mobility before moving on.  Only when an exercise has nothing left to give do we move on to the next progression and begin the process anew.  Actually, I lied.  This is the fastest route, because it greatly reduces the risk of injury.  Rushing for maximal strength and getting an injury, being sidelines and then having to start over, takes far longer.

Many people who push for max strength moves too quickly end up injured.  I hope it doesn't happen to you.  When in doubt, spend more time with the basics.  I have never regretted going 'backwards' to shore up technique.  Good luck with your journey.

• Upvote 3

Sean Matsuda

The GB approach is MASTERING an exercise, which means multiple sets of perfect reps or time holds.  The absolute minimum is 5x5, and many exercises request much more.

Also, the goal of GB training isn't getting to the end position in the fastest route.  The goal is to create a strong, mobile body that has no weaknesses.  We milk an exercise for every last drop of strength and mobility before moving on.  Only when an exercise has nothing left to give do we move on to the next progression and begin the process anew.  Actually, I lied.  This is the fastest route, because it greatly reduces the risk of injury.  Rushing for maximal strength and getting an injury, being sidelines and then having to start over, takes far longer.

Many people who push for max strength moves too quickly end up injured.  I hope it doesn't happen to you.  When in doubt, spend more time with the basics.  I have never regretted going 'backwards' to shore up technique.  Good luck with your journey.

Awesome post.  I will start implementing more basic work. Thanks.

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

DISCLAIMER: pretty much every single word in this post is based on my personal opinion, and FYI I'm not an expert, just another one of the guys following Coach's work.

I think that what you're doing is TESTING strength rather than BUILDING strength. Let's use an example with weights, which should make it easier for me to get my point across. If your 1RM (one rep max) is 225 lb on the squat, you shouldn't train everyday with that weight. Depending on the program you'll work with 70-80% of that 1RM, so that you can BUILD some strength. If your programming is good, you'll know when to progress and you will never have the need of TESTING your (maximal) strength to see where you're at (unless you peak for a competition).

Bottom line is: if you test you strength every session (aka you always work at you 1RM) your body will abandon you down the line. That's (very) basically why athletes can't compete every weekend.

Nicholas Sortino

DISCLAIMER: pretty much every single word in this post is based on my personal opinion, and FYI I'm not an expert, just another one of the guys following Coach's work.

I think that what you're doing is TESTING strength rather than BUILDING strength. Let's use an example with weights, which should make it easier for me to get my point across. If your 1RM (one rep max) is 225 lb on the squat, you shouldn't train everyday with that weight. Depending on the program you'll work with 70-80% of that 1RM, so that you can BUILD some strength. If your programming is good, you'll know when to progress and you will never have the need of TESTING your (maximal) strength to see where you're at (unless you peak for a competition).

Bottom line is: if you test you strength every session (aka you always work at you 1RM) your body will abandon you down the line. That's (very) basically why athletes can't compete every weekend.

There are a few weightlifting programs that have you working at 95%+ every training day.  The Bulgarian method for example.  I've also seen some powerlifting programs based around maximal singles.  Of course all of the programs are advanced programs and not for the beginner lifter.  Most novice lifters will benefit more from a 3x5 -5x5 program.