Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why is ist bad to condition every day?

Annika Hüpfel

Annika Hüpfel

It is said, you should not do strength training daily.

I totally understand that it could be really bad to lift weights heavily daily if you do the same muscle group like bench press or what ever. I also understand that it is just not possible to do ring strength or any really hard strength moves like planches or hollow back presses daily.

But what about regular body weight stuff? Like pull-ups, leg lifts, dips etc?

When I competed, we conditioned EVERY SINGLE DAY. I mean we usually had Sundays off and trained Mo-Sat. But I usually even went to open gym on Sunday.

So after every training session (which included a short warm up and then about 20 minutes on each event) we had one hour of physical preparation. We did handstand presses, walks and holds, pull-ups, push-ups, dips, squats, leg lifts, reverse leg lifts, hollow and arch rocks and a lot of stretching. And it was not only light conditioning, we really pushed until failure.

So basically, we strength trained every day, just only with our bodyweight! So why should it be bad if it works for gymnasts?

Coach Sommer

Were you a world class gymnast?

I ask because I am not aware of any world class gymnasts who condition everyday in the manner you described.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Mark Collins

The musculoskeletal system does not recover quick enough to get maximum benefit from training hard every day. In particular tendons can take 48 hours to recover and be back to the same mechanical properties. So you end up training hard but at a level that is not as productive as when you are fully recovered. You also run the risk of injury as you are pushing the tissues to their mechanical limit daily.

Interestingly if you wear the same brand of shoe but alternate daily it the shoes last more than twice as long as if you just wore the same shoes daily. The shoes need time to recover from the mechanical load placed on them.

• Upvote 11

Jon Douglas
Interestingly if you wear the same brand of shoe but alternate daily it the shoes last more than twice as long as if you just wore the same shoes daily. The shoes need time to recover from the mechanical load placed on them.

No kidding?? That's a superb comparison :D

• Upvote 2

Annika Hüpfel

Thanks for the reply. No I wasn't, but I wish I was! I competed L7 USAG pretty well though and trained L8.

My gym uses John Geddert's Phase Conditioning. Here it is:

http://thegymnasticscoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Gedderts-Phase-Conditioning-Book-Bonus.pdf

All the optional girls did it after training, 6 days a week. Took as about 1 hour, then we stretched for about 15mins.

According to this plan, I was L3.

So you think this is bad? I have no idea and I don't say it is good, I just wanted some input of others

Mark Collins

No kidding?? That's a superb comparison :D

Weird but true. If you like a shoe then buy two:)

Were you a world class gymnast?

I ask because I am not aware of any world class gymnasts who condition everyday in the manner you described.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Uh, someone check the oven; I think something is burning.

JK! :) But with all jokes aside, there are those who propose the belief that over training is a myth. Well, I guess they are super human because us common folk know very well how over training yourself is a terrible idea (I regrettably didn't do gymnastics growing up, but I did swim in middle/high school in varsity and our couch always told us not wear over selves down during practice for the risk of poor performance in competitions was too great especially if a swim meet was coming up).

With GST, the CNS will be worked way more than other activities like swimming for example. The key for GST in training the fundamental basics to the point of proficiency requires time and commitment, mostly time for the body to get used to the overload of putting your tendons and joints in different leverages. Maltese? Iron cross? Victorian? Heck, even the L sit if done correctly will tire you out, and it's considered a basic FSP. For athletes and the average Joe, over training can be a different book between. But either way, it's something to think about.

Annika Hüpfel

And guys, another question. Would it be better to do less but everyday or more but not everyday?

So is it better for gymnasts to do 3 sets of 10 pull ups everyday or 5 sets of 10 pull ups but only 3 times a week?

Is my belief right that the first would be better to keep strength and the second to build it?

Ivan Pavlovic

More but not everyday. As Mark stated above tendons need time to recover properly.

And guys, another question. Would it be better to do less but everyday or more but not everyday?

So is it better for gymnasts to do 3 sets of 10 pull ups everyday or 5 sets of 10 pull ups but only 3 times a week?

Is my belief right that the first would be better to keep strength and the second to build it?

If you want to incorporate a "grease the groove" kind of style training, then do the former. Better yet, do 50-80% of your max reps, 4-6 sets spread throughout the day if you want to get stronger on your pull-ups, assuming you don't know this. I did this and my pull-ups increased by 10, from 7 to 17 :)

It's kind of switched; the first one is better to build strength as you are building it by increased consistency but decreased intensity of a skill. The second one is more suited for keeping strength or building muscle.