Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Podcast - 3 months of just prehab and stretch routine?

Jonathan Horowitz

Jonathan Horowitz

On Coach's most recent visit to Robb Wolf's podcast, he said something to the effect of "you would benefit more by only doing prehab and stretch for three months than by trying to jump into a workout routine with pain."

This statement resonated with me, as I quit my F1/H1 training last year due to severe knee pain and seemingly endless elbow pain (and a lot of other excuses I could make including a new baby :unsure:  ). 

I've done some research on the forums, but would appreciate some guidance on constructing a good weekly routine that hits full body. Some of the resources I've dug up that other people have used: 

Knee:

- PT exercises (I plan on using google to find some)

- SLS mobility work from F1

Wrist/Elbow:

- H1 wrist strengthening series

- Novel movements of the hand, wrist, and elbow from this youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpzUxAu62cCFxHhBdiLLEHA)

- PT exercises

Shoulder: 

- PT exercises

- H1 mobility work

Lower Back/Hips: 

- Pike stretch course (haven't purchased yet, but considering it and would love to hear some opinions)

I'm sure I've missed a lot of great recommendations throughout the forums, so any other resources please let me know!

Dylan Robertson

I'd say if you're doing to do one of the Stretch Courses, might as well do them all. You don't want to be mobile in one area and a zombie in another. Best to address weaknesses everywhere.

• Upvote 3

Matthew Mutch

Jonathon, searching for PT exercises on YouTube might help, but it requires that you FIRST diagnose exactly what is going on with each of your injuries (i.e. shoulder subacromial bursitis, tendonitis, etc.) as most PT exercises are specifically geared to address a specific condition. Unfortunately, that maybe difficult for some AND the fact that sometimes joint pain maybe a compensation for another immobile area. For example, if you're experiencing some shoulder impingement in an overhead position, it could be from lack of thoracic extension. If you're experiencing knee pain, it maybe from lack of ankle or hip ROM.

The amazing aspect of the Stretch series (and other mobility exercises) is that they address multiple areas that may be contributing to the injury. Going through a series can really show you where your personal movement deficits lie.

I agree with Dylan that it can only help to do all the Stretch Series, especially thoracic bridge for shoulder work and side split series for knee issues.

I like your thoughts on SLS iM for knee rehab. At the L1 seminar Coach took us through the first few iM elements from SLS to really work the knees and it felt amazing to get into the rotational aspect of the knee joint. Implement some work from the side splits series to address any possible tight hamstring/calf and maybe some foam rolling on that and you're golden.

• Upvote 1

Jonathan Horowitz

Thank you very much for your thoughts, guys. I think I'm going to purchase all three stretch courses and make them the core of my rehab efforts. 

As far as self diagnosing goes - my major issues (in descending order of suckiness): lateral epicondylitis, sacral pain, lateral knee pain on left side (meniscus possibly)

Lateral epicondylitis comes when ever I do too much push up type work. This type of rehab exercise shouldn't be hard to find.

Sacral pain is tricky, but I think it is caused by excessive tightness in my hips (one of my least mobile areas). I'm thinking it's either psoas or piriformis that's pulling on my lower sacrum and causing the pain, as it only occurs when I bend or rotate in certain directions.

Lateral knee pain is really inconsistent - I'll go weeks without feeling it, but then hit a squat or a lunge type motion at some point during the day and my knee will completely buckle. I've had an MRI on it before about 5 years ago, but they didn't see anything. 

All the other areas I don't have pain, I just know that prehad will go a long way towards preparing me to get back into Foundations and handstand training in a few months. 

Any other thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'd say for knee pain the SLS mobilities are your best bet. For hip and elbow pain the Middle Split series and the straddle Planche work is great. The work sets of sPL work straight-arm elbow strength and the mobilities work your hips; the middle split series also helps in regards to the hips by increasing with hip ROM and flexibility. The Thoracic Bridge series also involves some elbow work (as the elbow to the bicep lead into the shoulder and can end up being the limiting factor on shoulder strength and ROM).

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Jonathan Horowitz

Hi Rafael - unfortunately like many of my attempts at changing habits, I was not able to sustain this one. I'm not going to make any excuses I just haven't prioritized it enough to make the time. 

Best of luck to you