Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche lean hand position for beginners?

JohnScott

Here we go again.

I heard that  the first step to Distal Biceps tendon conditioning is Planche Lean Fingers backwards and then next step is German Hang Supinated grip. (From Joshua Naterman)  :-)
So, I train Planche lean finger back - 3 times a week. 3x12s (Starting with very basic Push up position without leaning)

The question is > Is that Ideal?? because

1- I just read a comment from GB Facebook page that (For beginners, somewhere between fingers straight forward and out to the sides. Where exactly is simply a matter of personal preference.
Beginners should NOT however perform planche leans with the fingers pointing backwards, this creates far too much stress on the brachialis for beginners.)

2- I can't lean and control myself with fingers back. I get too afraid (Just got out of a biceps strain) and my elbows start bending a little and start shaking a lot, However, fingers forward or to the side I can lean much further and maintain hollow for max of 30s.

So, What's Ideal based on what I mentioned? :)

Sorry, One more question. The inside of the elbows should be pointing forward?

Thank you.

Edited by JohnScott

Rajesh Bhat

Okay, you should start with hands pointing sideways or forwards, NOT backwards. Depending on which one you choose, I think your elbow positioning will change.

Good luck,

GenericGymnast

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Here we go again.

I heard that  the first step to Distal Biceps tendon conditioning is Planche Lean Fingers backwards and then next step is German Hang Supinated grip. (From Joshua Naterman)  :-)

So, I train Planche lean finger back - 3 times a week. 3x12s (Starting with very basic Push up position without leaning)

1- I just read a comment from GB Facebook page that (For beginners, somewhere between fingers straight forward and out to the sides. Where exactly is simply a matter of personal preference.

Beginners should NOT however perform planche leans with the fingers pointing backwards, this creates far too much stress on the brachialis for beginners.)

2- I can't lean and control myself with fingers back. I get too afraid (Just got out of a biceps strain) and my elbows start bending a little and start shaking a lot, However, fingers forward or to the side I can lean much further and maintain hollow for max of 30s.

Thank you.

Josh is wrong.  Moving on.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Alexander Egebak

Here we go again.

Thank you.

Joshua's recommendation should be taken into the context it is being provided.

Although not explicitly stated he assumes that one must have a solid planche lean at first which makes a lot of difference. I have no qualification to say whether that is the best way or not but it definitely makes a difference if you already have a solid planche lean. Also, when people say planche lean they mean some degree of lean. Joshua means that you start from a plank and slowly and gradually lean in.

Coach Sommer

Joshua's recommendation should be taken into the context it is being provided.

Although not explicitly stated he assumes that one must have a solid planche lean at first which makes a lot of difference. I have no qualification to say whether that is the best way or not but it definitely makes a difference if you already have a solid planche lean. Also, when people say planche lean they mean some degree of lean. Joshua means that you start from a plank and slowly and gradually lean in.

This is also incorrect.

Having a solid planche lean is not even remotely close to enough physical preparation to begin planche leans with fingers turned back work.  

Amongst others things, legless rope climbs must have first been mastered before the biceps are strong enough to profit from this degree of stress without injury.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 7

Colin Macdonald

The inside of the elbows should be pointing forward?

The most important aspect is locked out elbows. Rotating outwards with fingers forward combined with gradually increasing the lean should be a safe way of increasing the intensity gradually.

The video is an old video with some bad advice (his advice on advanced frog stand is particularly dangerous).

Also, this question is almost identical to your previous post:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/21053-questions-planche-leandeck-squats/#entry190447

Moderator Note: The duplicate thread has been deleted. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for your contribution. Now, I understand :)
I also thought that The Frog stand part is weird.

-Sorry about the duplicate issue. I had problems with my computer and totally forgot I posted that topic.