Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I perform a layout without arching my back?

Jj2638

So every time I attempt a RO BHS Layout I always end up doing a whipback. Every time I try to set I always fall or end up doing a tuck instead. Can someone explain to me the concept of an actual layout? For all I know that in back tucks, bringing your knees to your chest flips you backwards. In a whipback, arching your back, throwing your head back and whipping your feet over your head flips you backwards. So in a layout, how do I flip myself backwards? I'm quite of new in tumbling and I only visit the Gym about 3 times a month so I'm seeking help here from the experts. Thank you! :)

For a Back Layout, you need to snap position from a stretched position to a hollow/rounded position. So of course, you need to know the difference between stretched/flat and hollow/concave.

I asked Neil Resnick about this at one congress and he told to me to take my tumbling girls back to a slightly rounded back drop from standing on a few 8"ers to back. A portapit can work as well. We also did it on a 4"er on a tumbl-trak (as we did not have a tramp at that gym yet). These are not like typical backdrops where the body is bent at the hips and knees. More like a rounded corpse drop.

I also worked a lot of spotted hang to invert on rings and bar for body shaping. No, these girls would not have been strong enough to work on this themselves. Body levers, candlesticks and candlestick from lying on their back with their arms stretched overhead. Focus on nice hollow. Hang snap hollows on a high bar.

Generally you won't go from a tuck to a layout. Tuck-open to straight upon inversion, Pike-open to straight upon inversion.

So set and stretch, scoop the toes hollow and press the hips forward and up.