Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weights for iron cross training

irongymnast

I can't train on the rings when I'm not in the gym, because I don't have the space to mount the XR rings at home.

So I figured I might use weights.

I got 2 weights of 10lbs each.

Can I hold them in the iron cross posture in order to train for the iron cross?

Can you suggest other exercises with these weights that would be beneficial to my iron cross development?

How heavy will the weights you're using (compared to your bodyweight) have to be before you are strong enough to do the cross?

How heavy will the weights you're using (compared to your bodyweight) have to be before you are strong enough to do the cross?

I would assume half your body weight in each hand hanging upside down in cross position.

Simple enough, dont you think?

I would assume half your body weight in each hand hanging upside down in cross position.

Simple enough, dont you think?

That's what I thought, just checkin'

Probably about 80-90% bodyweight... 40-45% each arm.

Rings will exhibit some inward tension which reduces load on the lats/chest (MUCH more if your rings are short strap and not regulation length).

Also, arms don't count towards holding the move... (well, they do with weights, but they don't when you're doing the move).

Don't train it too much with weights otherwise you will find that you lose the neuromuscular efficiecy for holding support position and movement on rings.... aka you will start shaking a lot and not be able to apply full power. This is why I am a fan of doing everything possible in your training on rings if you can.