Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is 100% elbow lock required during Front Lever?

Rebelos

While training FL variation, my elbow to the untrained eye could seem locked but I do know that it is like 95% locked, that's why I am asking, should it be fully locked,extended and outstretched just like on a Planche ?

Edited by Rebelos

Ok thanks guys, I have seen on youtube some "tutorials" for "front lever" where guys have like full bent arms and I am like "what are they doing". Anyway I'll step up in some of the progressions.

Jesus Rojas

Before getting serious into GST, it was pretty common for me to bent my arms in most Straight arm elements. After that I got the locked elbows thing like a tattoo in my brain and now is almost impossible for me to bent my arms unconsciously. Just lock your elbows as hard as you can old the time and it will become a habit.

Nicholas Sortino

What if my elbows hyperextend about 10o past straight?  Support and German Hang it is easy to go to full extension (190o), but on the FL my elbows only go to 180o

GoldenEagle

What if my elbows hyperextend about 10o past straight?  Support and German Hang it is easy to go to full extension (190o), but on the FL my elbows only go to 180o

If your triceps are flexed hard and your arms are hyper extended naturally, don't worry the additional range of motion in your elbows. The key to having your arms "Locked" straight is flexing your triceps.

Chinese Olympic gold medallist Chen Yibing's arms hyper extend when they are fully locked.

(Web Image) Chen Yibing- Maltese Cross

Mikkel Ravn

I recognise the issue - It is definitely harder locking out the elbows in FL than in PL - In FL, the elbows 'want' to bend.

Don't know if this is the right solution, but I externally rotate the arms, so the hinging of the elbows is vertical, not horizontal, that gives me best lockout.

If that's hard to visualize, I rotate the right arm counterclockwise and the left arm clockwise. 

Thoughts?

Edit: Brian's right, I internally rotate the arms. That'll teach me to post before getting my morning coffee.  :P  :facepalm:

I recognise the issue - It is definitely harder locking out the elbows in FL than in PL - In FL, the elbows 'want' to bend.

Don't know if this is the right solution, but I externally rotate the arms, so the hinging of the elbows is vertical, not horizontal, that gives me best lockout.

If that's hard to visualize, I rotate the right arm counterclockwise and the left arm clockwise. 

Thoughts?

What you're describing is not external rotation, but internal rotation and I find doing that in a FL makes it easier and that is probably why you might find it easier to lock your arms with it. I guessing that internally rotating the arms recruits the chests and lats more. 

I'm not sure if using that technique is correct for the FL, but it personally feels unnatural to me and I avoid doing that as much as I can. Regardless if you use that technique or not, you will still get credit for it in a gymnastics competition.

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Easily answered.

Consider this; how can one pull from a front lever to an iron cross with internally rotated shoulders?  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Mikkel Ravn

I don't know, I'm not a gymnast and I've never tried!

Your analogy is so far over my head, it ain't even funny :)

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...
Chris Hansen

I'm curious about the requirement for completely straight arms. Is it an aesthetic thing and that's how it's judged or are there anatomical/exercise-benefits reasons?

Coach Sommer

I'm curious about the requirement for completely straight arms. Is it an aesthetic thing and that's how it's judged or are there anatomical/exercise-benefits reasons?

Are you also curious about standing up all the way during a squat?  Or pulling up all the way during pullups?   ;)

In order to build the proper strength thru the joint, straight arm strength must be performed with straight arms.  As Zach already mentioned, almost straight is bent.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 8