Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

High Blood Pressure?

Bob Sanders

Does Handstands cause High Blood Pressure? I got my yearly physical yesterday and my doctor said I had high blood pressure. I don't remember exactly but I think it was something like 136 to 80. Now I am only 15. It could be my eating habit and stress caused by this summer's craziness. I am not at my best this summer. But could handstand have spiked my blood pressure? I'm kinda scared now.

Coach Sommer

Handstand work will not affect your resting blood pressure. For the vast majority of the population, high blood pressure is simply diet related.

Easy ways to reduce your blood pressure:

1) reduce the amount of salt in your diet.

2) reduce the amount of grains or grain-based products in your diet. Grain-based products include, but are not limited to; bread, rice, noodles, cakes and pastries etc.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

There is no reason to be scared. With those numbers, it could have been a cup of coffee or nervousness at being tested. I don't understand those numbers to classify as hypertensive. There is a term called "pre-hypertension" when the first number floats in the 130's, but nothing is usually done. Apart from diet, exercise, and lifestyle, hypertension and pre-hypertension are some times hard to explain. My wife and I eat the same things, yet I often measured pre-hypertensive, and my wife lower than average. My cholesterol is low, hers is high. Go figure. Its a good idea, for everyone, to keep an eye on the readings, but there really is no reason to worry. I also take solace in the fact that there is good treatment options available, too, as I have a family history of hypertension.

I don't remember if those are the correct numbers or close to it. But I remember my doctor saying that my Blood Pressure is high and he check me twice after the first time. And he compared my stats in the past 3 years and they were fine. I don't know what the reason is but I'm glad it's not the hand stand because I read some where that someone said: the handstand push up might raise my high blood pressure. Probably is my diet. Man have I let myself go this year. I hope my gymnastic goals will help motivate me once again to eat clean. Thanks guys for your insights.