Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slipped disc in lower back. Now what?

Jo Christian Weldingh

Jo Christian Weldingh

I just found out I have a slipped disc in my lower back. Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of injuries and gst training? The pains are particulary bad when I'm doing front lever and manna progressions, but that might be a result of bad form.

I want to stress that the injury is not a result of me doing gst training. I had the pains at least 6 months before I started.

Christian

• Upvote 1

Hi Christian,

May I ask how you have found out abut having a slipped disc? Have you actually had an MRI to confirm this?

I am an Osteopath and treat many patients with disc issues in the lumbar spine and neck and I have also had lower back pain myself caused from a bulging disc, which is not quite as bad as a herniated (slipped) disc, but all the mechanics concerning causation factors and aggravating/relieving factors are the same.

Wesley

• Upvote 1

Jo Christian Weldingh

Hi Christian,

May I ask how you have found out abut having a slipped disc? Have you actually had an MRI to confirm this?

I am an Osteopath and treat many patients with disc issues in the lumbar spine and neck and I have also had lower back pain myself caused from a bulging disc, which is not quite as bad as a herniated (slipped) disc, but all the mechanics concerning causation factors and aggravating/relieving factors are the same.

Wesley

Hi, and thank you for your response,

Yes, I have had an MRI scan, so I'm sure it's a herniated disc. I do not have the piece of paper with me, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's between the L5 and S1 vertebrae. In training, variations of "leg lifts" and "reverse leg lifts" tend to hurt the most. Any heavy rotation of the pelvic area can also be quite painful.

Do you have have general advice?

Thanks,

Christian

Mark Collins

Can you go into more depth about what caused the injury and what aggravates your symptoms? What age are you?

Try not to refer to your injury as a slipped disc as discs never slip. By using this language you are unknowingly delaying your recovery.

There are many people with disc injuries that do GST and can perform the exercises at a high level. Wes is a perfect example of this.

• Upvote 2

Jo Christian Weldingh

Can you go into more depth about what caused the injury and what aggravates your symptoms? What age are you?

Try not to refer to your injury as a slipped disc as discs never slip. By using this language you are unknowingly delaying your recovery.

There are many people with disc injuries that do GST and can perform the exercises at a high level. Wes is a perfect example of this.

I'm not 100% sure about what caused it, but I think it might have been deadlifts with to much weight and bad technique. I used to play hockey on a reasonably high level, and I often had trouble with minor pains in the lower back after hard training periods. So this might have been with for a while.

Sitting for long periods of time aggravates the symptoms, along with some "rotation"-movements. I went bowling a couple of months ago, and afterwards it hurt like h*** for a week. I'm 28.

I'm sorry about using the wrong term. English is not my first language. I used the term "slipped disc" because that's what popped up when I entered the norwegian term in an english dictionary :) May I ask what the correct term is? Herniated disc?

Thanks,

Christian

Mark Collins

What exercises are you currently performing with Foundation? What specific exercise aggravates you and after how many repetitions?

As long as you don't call it a slipped disc in Norwegian! Depending on what the MRI shows it would be called a disc bulge, herniation, degeneration or annular tear.

Jo Christian Weldingh

What exercises are you currently performing with Foundation? What specific exercise aggravates you and after how many repetitions?

As long as you don't call it a slipped disc in Norwegian! Depending on what the MRI shows it would be called a disc bulge, herniation, degeneration or annular tear.

I do 4 day foundation + 2 handstand, but I just bought F2 and H1 ten days ago, so I  haven't really tested it that much.

The first week was totally painless, but this monday I went back to work, which means sitting behind a desk all day, and the last two days of training has been quite difficult. Stall bar reverse leg lift and hanging leg lift has been the most problematic.

Christian

Mark Collins

Can you post this in the F1 forum and list the specific exercises you are doing with sets and reps.

Jo Christian Weldingh

Can you post this in the F1 forum and list the specific exercises you are doing with sets and reps.

The F2 forum, you mean?

Mark Collins

Depending on what level you are doing. If it is F2 post in there.

Jo Christian Weldingh

Depending on what level you are doing. If it is F2 post in there.

Just did. Called it "Back issues." Thanks.

Christian

Steve Brennan

I'm in a similar situation. I was diagnosed with a degenerative disc in my lumbar spine about 6 months ago and the manna work has been aggravating the issue. Check out the post below.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/20926-mn-pe1-im-form-and-advice/#entry189739

The recommendations I have gotten is to maintain a stable back and take time to develop the ROM. In a couple of the mobility exercises I did not maintain a stable back in an effort to gain more ROM, which led to my reoccurring back pain.

I'd recommend taking videos of your workouts so you can troubleshoot where you're going wrong and causing the pain.

• Upvote 1

Jo Christian Weldingh

I'm in a similar situation. I was diagnosed with a degenerative disc in my lumbar spine about 6 months ago and the manna work has been aggravating the issue. Check out the post below.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/20926-mn-pe1-im-form-and-advice/#entry189739

The recommendations I have gotten is to maintain a stable back and take time to develop the ROM. In a couple of the mobility exercises I did not maintain a stable back in an effort to gain more ROM, which led to my reoccurring back pain.

I'd recommend taking videos of your workouts so you can troubleshoot where you're going wrong and causing the pain.

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Christian,

I suffered a "slipped disc"/herniated disc whatever you want to call it before starting GST. I suffered it for 6 months (I found sitting down was the worst thing too!) until I was getting pins and needles in my feet.

I finally went to a chiropractor and he fixed it in minutes, because I was still doing deadlifts I occasionally re-injured the area. I would have to go back to the chiropractor who would fix me up.

However, since I stopped doing deadlifts and got into GST I haven't had to go back to him. I haven't "slipped" it again and I have more range of motion, more strength and no pain.

In conclusion, my advice from my own experience which sounds very similar to yours would be to see a good chiropractor get any disc put back where it should be and then get stuck into GST again. 

Hope you get well soon!

Ian

Coach Sommer

You should have started with F1 rather than F2.  

It appears that the F2 elements and iMs are too intensive for you at this time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Jo Christian Weldingh

You should have started with F1 rather than F2.

It appears that the F2 elements and iMs are too intensive for you at this time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi,

Actually, adjusting the way I sit at work and focusing on form more than anything else has helped a lot.

Although, I have taken a step back in one or two progressions, so I guess you're somewhat right :)

Christian

Wesley Tan

Hi again,

Just so we are all clear, discs don't actually slip anywhere Ian, it's a layman's term that is very misleading and therapists like Mark Collins and myself spend way too long explaining to our patients what actually happens.

Discs herniations, bulges or annular tears develop the majority of the time from too much compression. That means the 2 bones/vertebrae that the disc lies between are moving closer together and in effect squash the disc. Too much pressure and a weak spot develops. The wall of the disc (annulus fibrosis) can thin out and bulge, or tear and if it herniates the inside of the disc comes out.

The analogy I like to use is of car tyre on its side. If it were filled with an inner tube that would be the inside (nucleus pulposes) in effect snot (water and protein). A bulge would be a bulge a bobble.  A tear explains itself and a herniated disc (slipped disc) would be if the inner tube was sticking out through a hole in the tyre.

Compression forces are obviously raised when the spine is loaded from external weight, as when lifting weights, but can also rise when we flex the lumbar spine. How much it rises is relative. Relative to the freedom of lengthening an individual possesses in their spinal musculature and spinal joints, and relative to the pressure already upon the disc when in neutral. Someone who has long, lean musculature (who does not carry unnecessary muscular tension) and will have relatively low levels of pressure on their discs to begin with. A good strong core in my opinion not only stabilises and strengthens the lumbar spine but also provides 'uplift'.

So therapists do not put discs back in that have slipped out of place. They can manipulate joints and relax muscles that have tightened as a neural reflex to the damaged disc. This helps reduce pressure on the disc and hence provides relief. Long term solution is to address the factors causing to much compression on the disc. The bulge or hernia is an effect, a result of other factors leading to compression.

F1 Front lever elements really help to strengthen the core while putting very little pressure on the spine as the spine remains horizontal and supported by the floor. Even if you progress beyond F1 it is still wise to perform regular sets of hollow body holds/rocks, like an essential part of a nutitient rich diet  :)

I would also recommend inversion therapy if you can get access. Inversion tables or gravity boots are an excellent way to decompress the lumbar spine effectively and quickly. Long term factors still need addressing otherwise the compression will quickly build up again.

• Upvote 5