Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New routine. Your thoughts/constructive criticism?

Gregoriah

Hey all.

Long time lurker. I've been trying to add some of Coach Sommer's gymnastic stuff to my weight/conditioning workouts. I'm enjoying it, but I think I'd like to move it from being a part of my workout, to being the focus of my workouts. I've done a bunch of reading and browsing the site, and here's what I've come up with (below). First a bit about my goals. In general, I'd like to lay the foundation for gymnastic strength work. Long term goals (I these are 1 year away or more) include full front and back levers, Straddle planche and straddle planche pushup, freestanding HSPU on parallettes, and maybe even some of the crosses (but that's a loooong way away). My short term goals (I'd like to achieve these in the next 2-4 months) include solidifying my handstand, and achieving a muscle-up. Falling under the heading of 'solidifying my handstand' are: be able to complete a set of 10 HSPU against the wall from the floor, and be able to complete a set of 2-4 HSPU against the wall from the parallettes. Any ideas on how to quantify freestanding handstand improvement?

Anyhow, with those goals in mind, here is the workout program. It'll be gymnastic strength work on M, T, TH, F. I'll do a crossfit/Rosstraining style metcon workout on Saturday. Wednesday and Sunday will be off days, though I may add some light yoga to loosen up if I feel like it. When I feel good, I'll play ultimate frisbee games on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Listed below are 'Workout 1' and 'Workout 2'. A few exercises have an 'a' and 'b', so these will be performed only once, rather than twice a week. Workout 1a will be performed on Monday, workout 1b on Thursday; Workout 2a will be performed on Tuesday and workout 2b will be performed on Friday. I'll begin every workout with a short warmup and 10 mins of handstand work.

Workout 1:

1. Warmup and 10 mins of handstand work.

2. Tuck Planche Work: 60 seconds of work.

3. Tuck Back Lever Work: 60 seconds of work.

4. Handstand Pushups against wall. Hands on floor. 3 sets of 2-6 reps.

5. Gatherings (beginner). 3 sets of 4-8 reps.

6. Pullups.

a. L-Pullups. 3 sets of 3-6 reps

b. Weighted Pullups. 3 sets of 1-4 reps.

7. Pistols. 3 sets of 3-6 reps.

8. Body Rows. 3 sets of 4-8 reps.

9. L Sit

a. Hanging Tuck L-sit: 2 sets of 60 seconds or more

b. Hanging ‘One Leg extended/one leg tucked’ L-sit: 4 sets totaling 60 sec or more

Workout 2:

1. Warmup and 10 mins handstand work.

2. Front Lever Work- 60 seconds of work

3. Muscle-Ups from step- 3 sets of 1-3 reps.

4. Handstand Wall runs- 3 sets. Time TBD

5. Skin-the-Cats- 3 sets of 2-6 reps.

6. Ring Dips- 3 sets of 4-8 reps.

7. Box Jumps- 3 sets of 6-10 reps.

8. L-sit

a. Parallettes Tuck L-sit: 2 sets totaling 60 sec or more

b. Parallettes ‘One Leg extended/one leg tucked’ L-sit: 4 sets totaling 60 sec or more.

So....any thoughts/suggestions/constructive criticism? Is this too much work? Anything I should add/subtract/substitute? Basically, this seemed reasonable to me, but I want to run it by some more experienced eyes.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Edited to add: I am also planning on doing wrist pushups twice a week, and Ido Portal's shoulder pre-hab twice weekly. Any thoughts on where that might fit in best?

Quite a lot pushing, but marginal leg training. Are there any good reasons for that?

I don´t have expert knowlegde in BW training, but i have been training with weights over ten years. As far as i know the basic principles for programming are almost the same.

Well, I'd like to focus on the gymnastic stuff, and feel that the exercises I've put in addresses that best. It seems like the leg work I've included is comparable to other routines I've seen here?