Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are ring pushups chest dominant?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Need an answer to this one

Also on a side note - what GST exercises target the chest more ( chest dominant ) 

Asking this to expand my knowledge

Guest Itamar Sha'ashua

Ring pushups are more chest dominant when you go down wide with the hands. when you'll go down back like regular pushups it will be triceps dominant.

I know that rings front support targets the biceps and chest, bulgarian dips.

Alessandro Mainente

Due to the nature of rings that are not stable , the major part of exercises that are performed over the rings and that needs stabilization on support have more chest component. the little pec works all the time to hold the rings closer.

• Upvote 5

Deins Drengers

Due to the nature of rings that are not stable , the major part of exercises that are performed over the rings and that needs stabilization on support have more chest component. the little pec works all the time to hold the rings closer.

So for best chest engagement would be wide ring pushups I imagine.

The stabilization is no joke here, hehe. I once tried to do a straight arm plank on rings, that was very hard, even harder is to not let the forearms touch the rings - a whole new level !

Jesus Rojas

Is it a good idea to incorporate ring pushups or it would be a redundant and unnecessary exercise ? and at what point it would be safe to perform it ? 

Alessandro Mainente

rings push up must end on turned out plank. i discourage beginners to do that on daily basis.

• Upvote 3

Jesse Frigo

So for best chest engagement would be wide ring pushups I imagine.

The stabilization is no joke here, hehe. I once tried to do a straight arm plank on rings, that was very hard, even harder is to not let the forearms touch the rings - a whole new level !

Anecdotally, dips build a big chest better than pushups.

Deins Drengers

Anecdotally, dips build a big chest better than pushups.

As much as i would want it to be true, I must disagree here. 

It fries my arms before my chest gets a work :(

Alessandro Mainente

Rarely you will see people doing their best with benchpress or dips for their chest because triceps and shoulders are the limiting factor. have you ever asked yourself why Makku Vathila lifted on benchpress more then the double of his BW with average technique? basically shoulders and triceps are not his weak point. 

• Upvote 2

Deins Drengers

So basically - Less talk, More sacrifice

Seriously though, I still can't get the patience that is needed and always am catching myself trying to re-invent the wheel so to say.

The slow progress is frustrating for me, but then again I am 6 feet 3 inches tall and weigh 240 lbs ( 108 - 110kg ) 

I am really envious of the smaller frame guys flying around on the rings and doing flips and stuff which is my own goal ofcourse, but I am getting there slower :(

Keilani Gutierrez

im 160lb (72.2kg) and started off pretty weak and stiff. still am for the standards being held in this forum/system. i'll be honest in saying that im pretty meticulous about looking for ways to fix my deficits, so ive been blessed with guidance but i've still had to work.

hard work is inescapable. it's wonderful once you embrace it. :)

especially the uncomfortableness of stretching. thats been a rough one for me.

Jan Reipert

Rarely you will see people doing their best with benchpress or dips for their chest because triceps and shoulders are the limiting factor. have you ever asked yourself why Makku Vathila lifted on benchpress more then the double of his BW with average technique? basically shoulders and triceps are not his weak point. 

thats not true at all. just because you can bench huge weights with strong shoulders and triceps doesn´t mean that you can´t build your chest with it. generations of bodybuilders cant be wrong on this one. it solely depends on your bench style. same is true for dips. how do you think bodybuilders develop their chest without bench presses or dips?