Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stretching After Sports and Strength Work

zeem11

Hello,

In the Stretching series video, Coach talks about that the stretching routine should not be done more than once a week.

Does that mean that stretching after sport activity such as strength training, running or playing basketball also should not or need not be done?

Does anybody have more info on why it is not effective to do stretching more often than once a week? I trust Coach that he knows better, I'm just curious to know how come, since I have heard it differently all my life.

Thank you

Christian Sørlie

The once a week is for HARD stretching done to increase your maximum flexibility. Daily limbering or easy stretching can be done every day.

• Upvote 3

Christian got it, easy to semi easy stretch as much as you want. Do the kind of stretching that makes you sore only once a week.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
David McManamon

I know a lot of people who stretch daily (or very close to) and have achieved excellent results doing so.  As with any training you first have to build the foundation before you start to kick the tires hard.  Initially contracting in a stretched position will lead to muscle soreness and once per week is a reasonable starting point for hard stretching, after your body adapts to this form of training and stretching you may be able to increase hard stretching days if you remain very cautious when you face any joint or other dangerous pain.

Of course you always want to warm-up & cool-down stretching when time permits.  Although I'm not familiar with the stretch series, a stretch workout is like other workouts, 3 sets 10 reps... or 3 sets 1 minute hold... this differs in intensity & duration from stretching done in a warm-up or cool-down.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Luka Kopusar

let's say one has a heavy weight / bodyweight routine in the afternoon, where legs get a good pounding, and then in the evening the stretch series.

My question is, wouldn't be too much of muscle contraction and the end of the day? As you have worked your legs enough, and then later with the stretching.

Is this combo advised or...?

Luka Kopusar

hah ok :) im not trying to find excuses, but i've been told on a lecture (university) that sometimes its not good to stretch so hard after workout, because the muscles are very tight, and doing stretching may damage them, as in tearing. 

I'm not sure what they are smoking in university these days.

Stretching when everything is warm is generally the best time to stretch. 

• Upvote 5

Jonathan Kachlon

Christian got it, easy to semi easy stretch as much as you want. Do the kind of stretching that makes you sore only once a week.

When you say you can do semi easy stretching every day, would that refer to the mobility elements in the workouts, just light static stretching, or both?

Jon Douglas

When you say you can do semi easy stretching every day, would that refer to the mobility elements in the workouts, just light static stretching, or both?

Either. Both.

• Upvote 1