Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dips and joint stress

Amebix138

Does anyone else find dips place an inordinate amount of stress on the shoulder/clavicle? I want to work these, I really do, but they just frigging hurt too much. Ive experimented with technique, I've tried everything pulled back and shrugged forward, elbows tucked and elbows flare and nothing seems to really make a difference. Any ideas?

Does anyone else find dips place an inordinate amount of stress on the shoulder/clavicle? I want to work these, I really do, but they just frigging hurt too much. Ive experimented with technique, I've tried everything pulled back and shrugged forward, elbows tucked and elbows flare and nothing seems to really make a difference. Any ideas?

This is usually becuase your front deltoids and upper chest may be lacking strength. The only people i have ever seen that have made the same complaint lack in those two areas.

Or it may be you have done alot of shoulder work before you then did dips, which can cause that pain due to an over tired shoulder.

Regards,

Nick DeFreitas.

yes, dips do cause added stress at the A/C joint, especially once you reach a deeper range of motion (ie, humerus drops below parallel, shifting majority of the load from triceps to the pecs and anterior delts). if you've a history of shoulder instability and/or injury in the past, especially separations (as i have), then you need to be extra careful. there will be some adaptation over time in both the muscular and connective tissues, so caution is necessary.

Improperly prepared joints, movement dysfuctions, or muscle imbalances generally cause the most problems with dips. I have no clue what your specific problem is though so I can't offer any advice.

I have a fairly large amount of laxity in my right AC joint, but since my shoulders are prepared for swings having worked proper progressions, and strong balanced since I do equal amounts of pulling/pressing (esp. with horizontal pulling) I have absolutely no problems with the movement even with heavy weight.

I have found that just focusing on support holds on rings helped build up overall strength and prepared me to handle ring dips with far less discomfort. It seems that it just prepares your muscles and joints to get comfortable handling the load.