Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

split days in half or workout twice

Jeffrey Mailly

Jeffrey Mailly

Haven't seen this question posted anywhere so please excuse me if I'm asking something that's already been answered. Actually is more like 2 questions.

1.) Are the daily workouts still beneficial if someone had to split them in half and do a couple elements in the morning and a the remainder later in the day?

2.) If time allowed, I'd there any reason someone wouldn't want to do the full workout twice a day? Kind of a diminishing returns question.

Nicholas Green

I'm sure these have been asked on the forum before, but I'll take a crack at answering them.

1) the biggest issue with this is that it might actually take more total time out of your day, since you'd theoretically warmup twice. The good news is that with the earlier elements you can get away with not warming up, but I'm not going to advocate either way on that. The other potential issue is one of work capacity. While it isn't a primary focus of the program, you do want a base of work capacity for later elements. Dividing the program in half will greatly reduce work capacity adaptations, potentially greatly hampering later progress.

2) if you have the recovery capacity to do the workouts twice in one day then you could do it. But my hunch is that if you're asking, you probably haven't developed the necessary recovery capacity for it to be beneficial. So unless you're Rich Froning or a SEAL, I'd stick with one workout a day.

• Upvote 2

Mikkel Ravn

Doing all the foundation exercises in a row is called F7, and is basically two workouts in one.

I'm going to move back to F7 because it works on work capacity and I found it more enjoying than F3+F4.

I also do stretch, handstand and runnings, so it feets better into my training schedule.

I'm doing two workouts in a day (on recommendation from Coach Sommer on the reddit AMA). Usually my morning is some back lever work and legs and in the evening a upper body workout. Both workouts are quite tough. Because I do both on one day I can have the day after a rest day or a (light) mobility day.

Because of having more rest days my recovery is actually a lot better.

I do have to plan some days a bit better. If due to busy schedule I can't do two workouts in one day i'll do one workout a day and another the day after like you might normally do.

Give it a try, I like it very much.

Jeffrey Mailly

Are you doing Foundations?

Yes I am on my 3rd week of F1.

Jeffrey Mailly

I'm sure these have been asked on the forum before, but I'll take a crack at answering them.

1) the biggest issue with this is that it might actually take more total time out of your day, since you'd theoretically warmup twice. The good news is that with the earlier elements you can get away with not warming up, but I'm not going to advocate either way on that. The other potential issue is one of work capacity. While it isn't a primary focus of the program, you do want a base of work capacity for later elements. Dividing the program in half will greatly reduce work capacity adaptations, potentially greatly hampering later progress.

2) if you have the recovery capacity to do the workouts twice in one day then you could do it. But my hunch is that if you're asking, you probably haven't developed the necessary recovery capacity for it to be beneficial. So unless you're Rich Froning or a SEAL, I'd stick with one workout a day.

Thank you for the feedback. I completely get you point about the work capacity in my first question, it makes complete sense now and I didn't think about it that way. For the second part, I do my workouts at 5am and more often than not I feel like I could do them again in the evenings. My recovery ability so far seems fine and my body has had no noticeable problems adapting to the workload. Sure I've felt some aches here and there but nothing catastrophic or worrisome.

I guess I'm also eager to try them again in the evenings because I can critique my workout throughout the day and come back and apply some adjustments in the evening. I think I remember Coach saying his athletes will train for several hours per day. If that's the case then I might try and bang out a few more sets in the evenings and see how things go.

Jeffrey Mailly

Thank you for the feedback. I completely get you point about the work capacity in my first question, it makes complete sense now and I didn't think about it that way. For the second part, I do my workouts at 5am and more often than not I feel like I could do them again in the evenings. My recovery ability so far seems fine and my body has had no noticeable problems adapting to the workload. Sure I've felt some aches here and there but nothing catastrophic or worrisome.

I guess I'm also eager to try them again in the evenings because I can critique my workout throughout the day and come back and apply some adjustments in the evening. I think I remember Coach saying his athletes will train for several hours per day. If that's the case then I might try and bang out a few more sets in the evenings and see how things go.

One more thing I wanted to add. I do understand that I could be adding in the Stretch series for off days and the Handstand series on my 4-day plan, but I feel like I should go through F1 alone to build up strength before adding anything else. Please chime in on this as I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on F1 solo vs F1/H1 together. I guess for me I feel challenged by the F1 elements, but still have a lot of energy left at the end of the day that I don't want to go to waste. Would doing more F1 work help me or am I at the point of overdoing it and should consider adding H1 or Stretch?

Giovanni Garcea

Depending on your fexibility, the Stretch series might be the priority, if you want to start gradually, in my ignorant opinion.

Jon Douglas

F1 and H1 definitely synergise together. They're best done together as Coach says.

Coach, if you have a little time would you mind sharing any thoughts on training twice a day? You've mentioned a progressively increasing weekly schedule you've used to find the sweet spot for your boys, but I am curious what form these take. Did they repeat their morning workout, or were there futher tweaks in terms of intensity/ reps for example?

Jon Douglas

- When you are ready for it, training twice a day is very effective.

- No, the same workout content was not repeated later in the day.

- Orench just posted a video of his a.m. training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks Coach, that was very cool.

I'm finding I'm doing well on the 5* a week split these days and feeling energetic; just kicking around some ideas for where I may go from there

Coach Sommer

Coach there's nothing in the link...

The issue is from your end.  The link works fine for me.

Perhaps if you went directly to my facebook page; Christopher Sommer

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

The issue is from your end.  The link works fine for me.

Perhaps if you went directly to my facebook page; Christopher Sommer

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Link also didn't work for me from the mobile site; I was however able to open it on desktop view from my phone.

Coach Sommer

Link also didn't work for me from the mobile site; I was however able to open it on desktop view from my phone.

Thanks for the heads up, guys. Cory is looking into this.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jeffrey Mailly

Coach - really appreciate the feedback. Orench is the man. Definitely someone I aspire to train like. I'm strongly considering a purchase of H1 this weekend but going to assess me schedule again to make sure I can make it work.

• 3 months later...

F1&H1 are designed to be worked together.

That doesn't mean that you must do them one after the other, or in the same day, you can do them anywhen you want, the important thing is that you will work on both of them in your GST training.

• Upvote 1

If F1 and H1 shout be done together it means that right after i finish F1 i start with H1? Or later in the day?

Coach Sommer meant that the two programs are meant to form one whole, the actual scheduling can be very individual.

• 9 months later...
Alexander Egebak

I am interested in the idea of having more than one workout a day, but I need some inspiration as to how people structure that. What would be a good split if I am more or less doing F1, H1 and H2 with stretching?

• Upvote 1