Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope climb and tendon issues...

Jeffrey Fialko

Jeffrey Fialko

Another tendinitis thread! 

My tennis elbow went away after months of trying everything....and now....it's trying to come back. It's just a mild ache, but I don't want it to get any worse. I've examined everything I've been doing and narrowed it down to a: I'm trying to draw too much with my right hand again (I have problems with tensing up too much :/  ) 

or b: I've started doing legless rope climbs maybe twice a week for the last couple weeks.

In searching for answers, I came across this thread on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/comments/1z0f3g/rope_climbing_notes_from_ido_portal/

The first reply to someone's tendinitis comment is by a user by the name of "Saint Emmet." What he's talking about is the kind of info I've been looking for.

I'm quoting him here:

"Too much internal rotation during the pull is the source. Most people will have some form of anterior rotation of the scapula combined with the middle of the body pulling position is a trigger for this basically puts a valgus type strain on the elbow

"

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts about this, in relation to rope climbs. I'm staying away from them at least until the aches go away. Is there a proper form for them, beyond simply grabbing and pulling? According to what this guy is saying, it sounds like you should be pulling your shoulders back/retracting the scapula when you climb.

Thoughts?

Much appreciated :)

Coach Sommer

My tennis elbow went away after months of trying everything....and now....it's trying to come back ... I've started doing legless rope climbs maybe twice a week for the last couple weeks ...

You know exactly why it has come back.  Stop the rope climbs.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Keilani Gutierrez

agreed with coach. get that mobility and strength deficit looked at.

can't narrow it down to one thing but working on my wrist strength and flexibility before getting comfortable doing the climbs really helped in my case and i'd consider it a pretty important variable in the use of the rope since the movement pattern is so straight forward. pullup technique also helps. the stricter the better and gotta give the elbows enough time to get strong enough....we need strong wrists, forearms, elbows + shoulders / Lats and adding legs in straddle to the mix only puts more load.

what kind of mobility are you doing currently?

Jeffrey Fialko

Thanks to both of you :)

I am going to stop the climbs for a while. I'm doing all the mobility you can think of (most likely). Tons of wrist and shoulder stretching. I'm hesitant to do any wrist pushups at all, even on my knees, as they seem to put a lot of strain on the extensor side of the forearm. I also wonder if dislocates aggravate it, simply because I have to grip the PVC with my wrist cocked back. I never had any sort of tendinits until I started trying to train for back levers before I should have, like a dummy. That really seemed like the trigger, although I don't understand how/why. It didn't help that I also played a ton of guitar and drew/painted a lot :/

I'm sick of it nagging me so I'm going to lay off the climbs and drawing and such for a week and see if that seems to help. If it doesn't I'll cut out some other things next week, I guess.

Mikkel Ravn

Doing the H1 wrist series at low intensity, upright against a wall, can aid in rehabbing the forearm tendons.

Jon Douglas

Too much volume, not enough prep.

It is not 'just' mobility; being able to move properly does not necessarily mean you are prepped in terms of strength. Both sides of the coin contribute.

Rehab / heal, take a step back and rebuild :)

• Upvote 2

Mark Collins

My tennis elbow went away after months of trying everything....and now....it's trying to come back. It's just a mild ache, but I don't want it to get any worse. I've examined everything I've been doing and narrowed it down to a: I'm trying to draw too much with my right hand again (I have problems with tensing up too much :/  ) 

)

Have you

A) systematically gone through the the foundation series?

B) had medical intervention?

C) followed a structured tendinopathy rehab program?

• Upvote 1