Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I find a Coach or guide?

jaames

Hello, you guys (and girls) have been a huge encouragement to me (reading other peoples threads)!

I have come a long way, but not really compared to if I had had some good guidance.

Just wondering what you guys think: if I should try find a gymnastics type instructor?

Would enjoy having someone helping me, but I'm worried about: the coach not wanting to coach a much older person new to gym; the coach being dissapointed with my progress (cause I'm long and older); me being discouraged by small people doing everything better (no); and all these evil thoughts, including being scared to find a coach...

I am a 21 year old with a tall big build, but in poor shape. Still relatively slim, but generally lacking in cardio / strength etc according to my own standards. Can walk on my hands fairly well, starting to do handstand pushups, can do a tuck planche for a while, struggle with leg raises. Can do a couple over ten nice slow pullups (progress), can have very good self discipline.

I just want to rather progress and learn faster by having guidance rather than slowly achieving less by myself.

What do you think?

Joshua Naterman

Get a coach and start learning! Where you start isn't as important as picking your direction and starting to move! I believe that it's ok to be afraid, but it's not ok to stop for fear. The sooner you get the guidance of someone experienced in gymnastics, the sooner you will be improving your progress.

Cool, thank you, I'm gonna look and try find.

Edit: Beat this! I just googled and found "Durban North Gymnastics Club" right on my street!!! (suppose I shouldn't give my address out on the internet, but good luck finding me, it's not a small road... That is amazing, never knew!!!

Now I've written them an email, a consise, more appropriate version of my first post in this thread and I'm itching for a response tomorrow...

James, I will not be coming to South Africa soon until you deal with your alien problem ( see movie District 9 ) in your country.

Btw, I was about 21 when I started gymnastics formally to speak of.

If you post videos, we can help you with guidance.