Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to train the German Hang correctly ?

Rebelos

I am currently training the German Hang and it have not be clarified to me how the "hang" should be. Should it be with complete relaxed arms and feeling the stretch like in a normal hang or shoulders-scaptula should be tensed and "working" in  a isometric static position?

Thanks for reading.

Alessandro Mainente

Elevated and relaxed positon of the shoulders, by emphasizing the retraction you will stretch more the chest.

By the way if you are a beginner you should not train the GH .

For your curiosity  I have a straight body german hang but with the late exercises of manna mobility on foundations 4 I can feel a lot of tension on my biceps, so basically I will not continue the GH training because i'm not really ready for it.

• Upvote 4

I was training GH(assisted) so I can aproach in a way the start of training the Back Lever. So Is there any more beginer progression for BL ?

Alessandro Mainente

As I stated previously BL is not a beginner exercise exactly as GH. 

Foundations 4 creates a solid basis for train with no injury, complete rope climbing progression and ,at least , the half part of F4 on Manna progression. At the end of this process you'll be prepared for serious rings training. 

I won't give more suggestions since i do not know your level of physical preparation.

• Upvote 3

Alexander Egebak

GH is a very intense shoulder extension stretch for the muscles and tendons involved. Even the assisted version should be approached carefully, especially if you have a history of weak/tight/injured biceps, rotator cuff and chest.

If you are in any doubt about programming up to safely developing GH H1 will give you the joint mobility for a good shoulder extension range of motion, while foundation 1-4 will loosen up and strenghten the tight muscles involved in GH.

GH is a very intense shoulder extension stretch for the muscles and tendons involved. Even the assisted version should be approached carefully, especially if you have a history of weak/tight/injured biceps, rotator cuff and chest.

If you are in any doubt about programming up to safely developing GH H1 will give you the joint mobility for a good shoulder extension range of motion, while foundation 1-4 will loosen up and strenghten the tight muscles involved in GH.

Actually my Biceps and Chest are my "not-weak" parts, on the other hand, my wrist and triceps are the weak ones. 2 years ago I injured my wrist by trying some stupid planche attempts without any conditioning ever. Anyway I find the assisted GH not much of stress for my shoulders for now.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to undig this post, but as I have found this video about German Hang progression I wanted to ask your opinion guys.

Are the first progressions that are shown optimal enough ? Because in this position the torso in not "vertical" enough as the  normal German Hang, the stretch will be kinda different and is not gonna translate to strengthening for the Full German Hang (?)

Sorry to undig this post, but as I have found this video about German Hang progression I wanted to ask your opinion guys.

Are the first progressions that are shown optimal enough ? Because in this position the torso in not "vertical" enough as the  normal German Hang, the stretch will be kinda different and is not gonna translate to strengthening for the Full German Hang (?)

Rebelos, it's been more than 4 months since your first post on German Hang.

Have you progressed without injuries? Have you interrupted your GH training?

Please, tell us about your experience. It's useful for all of us :)

Rebelos, it's been more than 4 months since your first post on German Hang.

Have you progressed without injuries? Have you interrupted your GH training?

Please, tell us about your experience. It's useful for all of us :)

Actually I haven't continued with GH training since then, I left it to the side because even the assisted version is too intense for me currently, I felt some kind of discomfort in the sternum area during the times that I was training GH. But this assisted version in the video seems really promising.

• Upvote 1

Just a hint: The integrated mobility in the H1 course teaches you shoulder mobility without exposing you to anything near bodyweight loads.

• Upvote 2

• 4 years later...
Christian Gabel
On 5/12/2015 at 11:57 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Elevated and relaxed positon of the shoulders, by emphasizing the retraction you will stretch more the chest.

By the way if you are a beginner you should not train the GH .

For your curiosity  I have a straight body german hang but with the late exercises of manna mobility on foundations 4 I can feel a lot of tension on my biceps, so basically I will not continue the GH training because i'm not really ready for it.

I wonder why the German Hang is part of the Level 1 plan in Single Bar Shoulder Mobility :unsure:

Edit: Yes, there is a suggested scaling option. But I first tried it the way it should be … arrrrghh!!!

On 9/24/2015 at 1:10 AM, Douglas Wadle said:

Never take advice on how to avoid elbow injury from someone wearing an elbow sleeve :P

Well, it *does* say Crossfit in the background...