Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrist Conditioning Question.

Bob Sanders

Ok one is for Dorsal Push ups. I am having trouble seeing how to set it up. You have to rotate your pinky towards your feet and your thumbs outward. So that means at the end all my fingers are pointing backwards towards my feet and the thumb pointing outward? But what about the elbow part? That means my elbows are pointed backwards and pointed out to the side. But Coach Sommer stated that it needs to be pointed forward. So I'm confused on the part. Can some clear the up for me please?

Two, the "First Knuckle." Ok so you start with your hands flat as you descend and the when you ascend you hop on to your first knuckles. SO does that mean I make a fist and land on my knuckles? But Coach Sommer stated: "The elevation up onto the first knuckles will result in your fingers remaining flat on the ground and the rest of your hand being elevated up off of it." I don't see how I can do that without braking my finger. So maybe I am seeing this wrong? How do I do it right? Can someone explain please?

Three is the Finger Hopping" that Coach Sommer mentioned as part of the wrist conditioning series. What is it exactly? Is it like the plyo version of plyo push ups but on with the finger tips? Do you do an actual push up on the finger tips going down and up or just explode from the finger tip (like hopping) for reps?

Ok last question. For the 'Wrist Conditioning series" you don't do sets am I correct? You just go through the wrist conditioning exercise in a a circuit0like manner and for 10 strict reps and at the end you are done warming up, am I correct?

Thank you.

Hmm. I seem to get the finger hop down but I am still confused about the Dorsal Push up and the First Knuckle. For Dorsal what I don't understand is by turning inward you mean in a clockwise motion or counter clockwise? I am assuming you mean clockwise motion? SO that means my "fingers" would end up facing each other and my thumb pointing towardsmy feet? That's not right. Is it? For the First Knuckle I am still how seeing where the knuckles go. Go so descend as normal and then as you ascend you simply lift my palms off the floor and up. What about the knuckles?

look at the video. The third pushup version at 1:47 is first knuckle pushups. You end up with a 90 degree angle between your palm and your fingers. So the "first knuckle" is the joint that connects the fingers with the palm. If you don't have that flexibilty I guess it would be ok to place your hands further away from your feet so the angle is bigger than 90 degrees.

For dorsal pushups, start in a regular pushup position and then turn your hands inwards as much as you comfortably can. When you do that, your elbows will naturally rotate inward /point forward to a certain degree, depending on your hand position. Do yourned pushups.
Clockwise for your left hand, counterclockwise for your right. Your hand positioning depends on your mobility, you may start out with fingers facing each others, but the goal is to progressively increase internal rotation until your fingers face your feet, which may or may not take a while.

As for dorsal pushups the user Slizzardman guided me to this video

Your description sounds quite different :?

After rereading these posts: viewtopic.php?t=860&start=15 I think Slizzardman got it wrong :(

Hienrich, thanks for the reply. I still don't get the first knuckle push up though. Your video made me even more confused. LOL. I thought you lift your palms up like in that video but you curl your first knuckle or your pointer finger in like your making a fist with only that knuckle and end up with it elevating all the other fingers which should be flat on the floor?

And for the other video that is a wrist pushup which is entirely different. I think i got down what a Dorsal Push up is but I am still not sure. I will try to make a video of it and ask the members here if it's right.

Here is how I think it is done. You turn your hands inward so that they are pointing or facing towards your feet. But if you have not the flexibility to do that you can have your fingers facing each other and your palms pointing or facing out. If you have enough flexibility to have your fingers pointing towards your feet then your elbows should be pointing forward. If not then it should be point outward. Then you would do your normal push up. Go done and push up. When doing the Dorsal Push Ups you should put all of the weights and resistance on the outside edge of the palm and the wrist. So So basically your fingers are elevated "slightly". Like how when you do your push ups you put all the weight on all of your hands which is flat. Now you put all the weights on the edge of the palm and the wrist/end of the palm. Make sure you do does because if you don't the effective of the exercise is decreased and the whole thing is meaningless.

I think that is how it's done. But if not, please, can someone correct me.

• 4 months later...
Charles Weill

Anybody else getting a bruised middle-finger knuckle during dorsal push-ups. I hadn't noticed until my friends pointed it out since it is not painful, simply discolored. Am I doing something wrong?

17262_375800150231_559650231_10564152_1348784_n.jpg

When doing dorsal puch-ups, I place my wrists on a yoga mat that is rolled up 3-5 times for cushion. I do 3 sets of 10 either from knees with no pike, or straddling at the end of a work-out.

edit: wrist push-ups--not dorsal.

I think you are referring to the wrist push ups not the dorsal push up. Dorsal is completely different. Anyway if it does not hurt you should be fine.

Refer to this video.

NIeL0AYygiY

Daniel Jorgensen

Dorsal:

Do just as you describe in your opening post. When Coach says elbow pointing forward he must mean the "inside" of the elbow. Everyone does exactly as you describe yourself (i think :lol: ).

Wrist:

Cleared

Fist KNuckles:

Go to 1:47 in the first vid. Look at the skilled boy. See how he from flat hand raise onto the knuckles (of the palm) and the fingers. That's it.

Only mad men from ancient east would be able to raise all way up on top of the fingers and then roll down on the overhand knuckles.

Charles Weill

Thanks so much for that clarification! With those three exercises and a rice bucket, wrist conditioning should be basically covered, right?

That's all I can think of besides wrist curls side to side, forward to back, and in circles counterclockwise and clockwise.

Another wrist conditioning element is long duration of wall HS and wall runs.