Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Plantar fasciitis?

Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen

Do gymnasts ever get plantar fasciitis? I think I have it and was hoping someone here would have some advice.

Thanks.

Coach Sommer

Do gymnasts ever get plantar fasciitis? I think I have it and was hoping someone here would have some advice.

Thanks.

Nope.

Sorry to hear though that you are encountering this.  My advice would be to drop forum member Mark Collins a PM.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Chris Hansen

I actually made an appointment with my doctor. I figure that's better than Internet diagnosing, and she can refer me to physical therapy or  something if it's needed. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Philip Papandrea

while your waiting for your appointment you can try searching for trigger points in your calves and shins. I've had a lot of success curing my heal and foot pain by getting those trigger points out. I've also switched to more minalminist shoes which have helped strengthen my feet and get rid of foot pain

Joseph Blazuk

The "cure" to plantar fasciitis is tons and tons of calf stretching.  And of course addressing whatever the precipitating cause is.  Stay away from cortisone.

Mark Tulloch

I had this condition chronically for around 18 months. 

I did the whole calf stretch, orthotics and rolling my foot on a frozen bottle. 

The thing that actually brought it right in the end was ITB foam rolling religiously and working on hamstring flexibility. I have no idea why but when I put massive emphasis into that area my foot came right. Weird I know! 

• Upvote 2

Mark Collins

The "cure" to plantar fasciitis is tons and tons of calf stretching.  And of course addressing whatever the precipitating cause is.  Stay away from cortisone.

Calf stretching has a minor role in helping with plantar fasciitis.

• Upvote 2

Chris Hansen

While I eagerly await my appointment I've been following what I could find: Stretching, massage, new footwear, and trying to avoid making it worse. I'll have to try the ITB foam rolling and see if that helps.

• 1 month later...
James Praser

Calf stretching has a minor role in helping with plantar fasciitis.

Mr Collins

Can you elaborate on what items play a more major role in helping with plantar fasciitis?

Thanks

Mark Collins

Plantar fasciitis usually responds similar to Achilles' tendon injuries. Lots of isometrics, isotonic and gradual introduction to plyometrics. If you lack ankle dorsiflexion then calf stretches can help. Modifying the load is key.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mark

Can you please expand on the above - what practical exercises can we do? And what sort of load?

Isotonic?? I thought that was Lucozade? ;)

cheers

Mark Collins

You cannot beat straight and bent knee calf raises. Usually isometrics are 3-5x60 secs at least daily. Isotonic you are looking at building up to 3 sets of 20 single leg calf raises with body weight.

The loading will vary from person to person depending on the extent of damage and what their long term goals are. Also other exercises can be given for the whole lower body depending on what imbalances there are. One person may need hip strength whereas another may need hip mobility.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
Stefan  Panzilius

Dear Mark, 

Is there a description or video that would describe the isometrics, and the specific type of calf raises that you would recommend?  

Should I be continuing to do the Front Splits stretch routine that calls for the 3 sets of 60 calf raises?  If so, should I modify and how?  

Thanks for your time.