Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glute to Quad Strength Ratio

Juan Cardenas

Juan Cardenas

I wanted to get some opinions on this topic, pretty sure some have heard about it.

I know that the glutes are a important part of movement specially when it comes to dynamic exercises, but is it safe to say you should be glute dominant? what would be the ideal rate of glute/quad dominance, i guess 50/50 would be ideal? would being glute dominant bring along benefits for the joints and increase the power output?

Opinions please.

Jason Dupree

I think it doesn't matter. If you do movements correctly with full range of motion, and don't neglect a certain aspect of leg strength, it all works out in the end. Being "x" dominant usually means "y" is too weak though. I also think there are very few exercises that the glutes shouldn't be working, whether as a prime mover or stabilizer.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

You will ideally want your hamstrings to be stronger than your quads.

Glutes should be so much stronger than your quads it shouldn't even be a comparison.

Juan Cardenas

I think it doesn't matter. If you do movements correctly with full range of motion, and don't neglect a certain aspect of leg strength, it all works out in the end. Being "x" dominant usually means "y" is too weak though. I also think there are very few exercises that the glutes shouldn't be working, whether as a prime mover or stabilizer.

Im not really sure its as simple as saying that. sometimes u might train and do exercises correctly, but you also need to be aware of which muscles need to be activated, for instance theres athletes that train legs, but lack glute strenght when compared to quads.

You will ideally want your hamstrings to be stronger than your quads.

Glutes should be so much stronger than your quads it shouldn't even be a comparison.

basically you should be glute dominant then. 

Dylan Robertson

Just work up to Single Leg Squats, Glute-Ham Raises (Back of the machine elevated 14", adds tension the whole time, Arms extended, lengthens lever, making it harder, and with an additional 20-25lb Weight Vest), and then Barbell Hip Thrusts (or Single Leg Band Resisted Hip Thrusts) Best 3 bang for your buck Lg Movements that will develop total leg strength.

Ronnicky Roy

I think it shouldn't be viewed so much as strength ratio between specific muscles as it should be balancing the strength between muscle groups. So Glutes+Hamstrings=psoas+quads. Even tho the strength level from strongest to weakest might be Glutes>psoas>Hamstrings>quads they would balance out. Chains of muscle and synergy is most important for maximizing your development for sport. Strength ratios are often subjective to who you ask.

Alessandro Mainente

Joint stabilization is made by equally strong antagonist muscles.

• Upvote 3

• 7 months later...
Bradley Bocker

in my opinion this entire subject is just load of semantic rambling. To my knowledge there is no real way to test a "ratio" of strength between muscle groups so for someone to claim to be glute/ quad dominant, I think the resourceful thing to do is ask how one came to that conclusion, which it usually boils down to them observing some movement deficiency. With this in mind wouldn't it make more sense to just approach the issue with the mind set of fixing whatever movement is weak rather than chasing some perfected strength ratio which doesn't really exist?

i think we can all agree the average person doesnt engage their glutes nearly enough and it wouldbe safe for most of them to really focus on glute strength above the others :P  Idont think I have ever met someone who had issues with their hips because their glutes were too strong....  definitely have seen people with hip issues because of quad dominance.

That or having overworked hamstrings and super tight quads.

I think with the discussion of ratio of muscle strengths there is the assumption that your technique and form is on point, so the issue at hand now is finding out what the weakest link in the chain is.

• 2 weeks later...
Chris Hansen

It's been said that there's no such thing as a glute dominant athlete, meaning that the glutes can't be too strong. For what that's worth.