Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are Stall Bars Used For in Foundation One?

Bob Sanders

Bob Sanders

Just curious. I don't have access to a stall bar currently and can't find gymnastic gyms with "open gym" times. Is it just for mobility and stretching in the Foundation One Course? If that's the case then I can hopefully easily find substitute.

Also, are there any other tools I might not have access to if it's not at a specialty gyms?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Titan

Ronnicky Roy

For F1 it is used for stretching and some MN elememts. For stretching, It can be substituted by using a dowel rod. Just lean against a doorway, with the rod on the other side. For the MN you could use a bar hanging near a wall. Something to keep your back flat against. An imperfect substitution is a pullup bar.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

MN is an abbreviation for manna. As you can imagine, developing the manna entails developing good pike flexibility and active pike compression. As Nick pointed out, stall bars are not strictly necessary for these exercises. 

Ronnicky Roy

Nope. Not necessary till later on. I think F2 is when you start using it, but in many cases you can do substitutes. Again it won't work as well as a stall bar, but it will allow you to do the exercise

David McManamon

Stall bars can't be substituted for their overall versatility at training strength & flexibility, it is really worth looking into building or buying a pair if you start training seriously.  However, any one exercise can be substituted with some creativity.  A railing is a good substitute when it is warm outside for a lot of exercises. 

Jon Douglas

Working around moving/travelling a lot and making do took me a long way. Stall bars are the undisputed #1 option, but the #2 choice that gets done is superior to a #1 that isn't :)

Railings, kitchen sinks, fences and kids playground equipment in parks have served me well :)

• Upvote 2

Alexander Egebak

Working around moving/travelling a lot and making do took me a long way. Stall bars are the undisputed #1 option, but the #2 choice that gets done is superior to a #1 that isn't :)

Railings, kitchen sinks, fences and kids playground equipment in parks have served me well :)

What do you use kitchen sicks for?

Daniel Marques

You can use L shaped countertops to do dips and similar exercises.

Jon Douglas

Rope climb integrated mobility elements.

It's a little hard to explain until you see it ;)

• Upvote 1