Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is it okay to train a skill once a week only?

JohnScott

hey :)

I have been struggling a lot with whether to train for skills only and neglect my BW routine or to continue training with the routine and add skill work to the end of each day. Training each skill once a week.

Pistols - back lever - Front lever - planche - handstand

My goals are:

-Learning the skills I mentioned (not in a specific order)

-Keeping the not-so-big  / not-so-small size I gained.

Worries:

-Losing size if I train skills only

-Training skills only will target specific area of each muscle leading to decrease of strength in some parts.

Note:

I have been away from training (BW exercises)  for 3 months. I spent 1-1.5months of complete rest.

then started experimenting with handstand - Planches. Just playing not really training and found that I have made progress more than ever. that got me thinking of training Skills only but then again.

What about pull ups - inverted rows - push ups - dips . stuff like that which I have in my Split routine. To increase size-numbers-strength Will I just stop doing them? The problem with doing the BW routine and training skills 3 times a week is the workout become exhausting that I can't perform well when I get to the skill work at the end. The workout goes up to 2 hours and I become so fatigue that I can't even perform a single rep or half the time of the hold on the skills.

So, Should I train BW exercises Muscle-split routine +  Train each skills once Or Train skills only ?

Thanks in advance :)

Joshua Slocum

Levers, planches and pistols should be approaches as strength work, not skill work. 

Responding to the question in the title: you *can* work skills just once a week, but your progress will be slow. Ideally you'll work a skill (e.g. handstand) 2-3 times a week, if not more. 

• Upvote 1

Levers, planches and pistols should be approaches as strength work, not skill work. 

Responding to the question in the title: you *can* work skills just once a week, but your progress will be slow. Ideally you'll work a skill (e.g. handstand) 2-3 times a week, if not more. 

Thanks very much Joshua. What do you mean by "Should be approaches as strength not skill work"? :)

Also, You think 6 months are good to get the front lever from Advanced tuck?

-I think I will spend a month from now doing what I do BW routine + Once a week for each of the movements I mentioned.

Then a month with 2 times for each/week, To get a sense of what my body is able to handle.

Joshua Slocum

Approach it as strength work, meaning that the limiting factor in your ability to perform those skills is almost always going to be strength, not skill. So your programming of those skills should reflect the fact that you're trying to build strength. 

6 months to go from advanced tuck to full front lever is very optimistic. My advice is to not put yourself on a timeline. Work hard, and make sure you're steadily advancing. So long as you're steadily getting stronger, you'll reach your goals eventually. Don't worry about exactly how long it will take. 

• Upvote 6

Super :D Thanks Joshua. I appreciate the help very much.

I shall take everything you mentioned into consideration. I tend to worry a lot about time and details in every matter. So, I will try to avoid that in this journey.

Dorian Brown

Another thing to think about is keeping up with your mobility. You will get the strength for those techniques a lot faster than your joints will be prepared for them. That's how a lot of people get injured ,doing things they are strong enough for but not mobile enough for. If you are consistent the skills will come.

• Upvote 2