Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Such A Thing As Too Beginner?

Rachel King

Rachel King

Title says it all. But I'm just trying to gauge if one can be too beginner to begin the foundation program.

Alexander Egebak

Normally, everyone can do them. But sometimes people have pre-existing injuries that might hold them up so if you think you have anything to worry about go to a physical therapist, have a general check-up and show him the program.

Jesus Rojas

The first progression in every foundation element are especially suited for beginners. My girlfriend is doing foundation with me, she has zero background, no previous strength or mobility and she has no trouble with the first PE's (Preparatory elements).

Joshua Slocum

The beginning exercises are doable for pretty much everyone who does not have a significant health problem (e.g. morbid obesity, injury, etc). If you have such a health problem, your focus should be on getting better.  

In some cases, a lack of mobility, strength or coordination may mean even some of the PE1 elements are too difficult for a beginner. However, the forums are pretty good at providing help on how to work up to PE1 in those cases. 

• Upvote 2

Andrew Long

I have a group of people I know who wanted to try my training so I got them to do the first pes and they couldn't do most of them. Regular people who rock climb a little. Was quite a shock tbh they could do week 1 with everything using horrible form in some exercises and decent form on others. Did it as an f7 though

Colin Macdonald

Too much of a beginner for what?

To answer more clearly, I'll need your age, height, weight, bmi, body fat %, resting heart rate, VO2 max, cardiac output, limb proportions, a muscle biopsy, an exercise history and a psyche evaluation. From there we can establish if you should just give up now before even trying.  :facepalm:

It's probably too late for the Olympics, but it's never too late to try to become the fittest, healthiest version of yourself possible. If you can't do the very first exercises, there are modifications to help you get there. And once you can do those, you'll already be stronger, fitter and more flexible than you were before you started, isn't that what's important?

A post on this topic might be worthy of a sticky...

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
Mark Tulloch

Hey, 

I purchased the H1 & F1 a little while ago. I am fairly fit but have pre-existing neck & shoulder issues from carrying a heavy pack. 

Even the easiest exercises but strain on my neck and flared up some old injuries. I've been doing a lot of scapula mobilization and concentrating on good posture and its come right. 

I think most people could start on this. But those with injuries may have to adapt or wait. 

Alessandro Mainente

Check out a physio to know what I should not do in function of your past injuries.

• 4 months later...
Gabriel Nunez

Mark,

Sounds like you hiking or were in the military. I found out what works best with my Marines is doing some Chigong/Tai Chi with some of my Marines to let them let go of that unconscious, psychosomatic tension they have in the neck and shoulder areas. Being conscious of posture and checking the body periodically for tension throughout the day is the best way to learn to reset the body, along with these fantastic gymnastic exercises/mobility exercises Coach created for us.

• Upvote 1

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic