Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Foundation 1 on Parallettes?

Jesus Candal

Jesus Candal

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get started with some kind of gymnastics program, and F1 and H1 really seem like what I'm after. The only issue is that around 1 year ago, I developed a serious left wrist pain. It seems like I have a small cyst that caused tissue to get inflamed. After a good amount of rest, the inflammation went away, but the cyst remains. The doctor mentioned that sometimes they go away, sometimes they stay for a long time.

Bending the wrist and putting pressure hurts a bit. I'm afraid doing it often would bring back the inflammation again, which would be pretty terrible. So I've stuck to doing everything on parallettes, which actually does not hurt at all. I've been doing push-ups and planks on parallettes for close to 6 months with zero pain.

Anyways, I'm sure F1 and H1 have plenty of work with wrist flat on the ground. Is it possible to substitute those exercises with just doing them on parallettes? Or will I lose so much of the benefit, that I might as well try a different program altogether? I want to make sure the program will actually work well and as intended with this major modification before making the purchase and sticking to it.

Thank you for any clarification! It's deeply appreciated!

Alessandro Mainente

The mobility preparation for the wrist is extremely useful not only for the handstand, fro example the exercises on H1 that work for ulnar and radial deviation are very useful for planche development. the major part of wrist preparation does not need specific wrist extension (that could be limited by the cyst, I suppose) because is more active fingers work. the stretching positions on the other side need  extension range of motion. have you ever consider the idea of remove it?

Jesus Candal

Hey thanks for the response!

Ulnar and radial deviation seem to be totally fine and don't cause any pain. Flexion also seems fine (such as to stretch the extensors). Extension, even just a humble push up, starts to feel a bit strained.

Removing it is an option but not recommended by the doctor. He mentioned they will typically go away by themselves without the need for intervention, so it's better to allow it its due course. He said if it isn't hindering my lifestyle (eating, driving, etc), he didn't think it necessary. I think I'm going to heed his advice.

Jon Douglas

Umh bump? Any thoughts on whether it would still be a good idea to do F1 and H1 on parallettes?

Yes, absolutely. Especially if it is a problem which may clear up in time with cautious/consistent working around the central issue.

For some progressions, especially in sPL stream, hand position is optional, floor vs. parallettes is optional. Your particular situation removes some options for you, but it doesn't invalidate it :)

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

Yes, absolutely. Especially if it is a problem which may clear up in time with cautious/consistent working around the central issue.

For some progressions, especially in sPL stream, hand position is optional, floor vs. parallettes is optional. Your particular situation removes some options for you, but it doesn't invalidate it :)

Will you get the same degree of wrist stretching and strengthening by doing HBH and sPL progressions on the parallettes? Also, would it not be easier to do a planche lean if your upper body is elevated to some degreee?

Jesse Frigo

Will you get the same degree of wrist stretching and strengthening by doing HBH and sPL progressions on the parallettes? Also, would it not be easier to do a planche lean if your upper body is elevated to some degreee?

To your second question: Maybe, but that is why you elevate your feet.

Jon Douglas

To your second question: Maybe, but that is why you elevate your feet.

Correct, you will need to do that.

And no, you will not get quite the same wrist stimulus. If the OP could handle that wrist stimulus, there would be no need to use the paralettes :)

Lukas Dusek

I had similar problem few years ago. I was allways working out with bodyweight, one day i hurt my right wrist. What helped me back then, was doing pushup ups on fists and dips on boxes (tables :D) on fists also. Since then it never return back. But take it just like my personal experience.

John Cunningham

Prior to starting H1 and F1, I had exactly the same concerns as my right wrist had been damaged by repeated gout attacks and I just could not put any weight on it whatsoever. Using parallettes, blocks or my fists seemed to be the workaround and I actually asked the same question in this thread

I still get a bit of an ache but it's not a showstopper. The only thing that holds me back now is skill and endurance.

• Upvote 1