Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Olympic weightlifter- new to GB stretch series

Jeremy_18374

Jeremy_18374

I'm an average Olympic weightlifter (+38yr old desk jockey) and just did day 1 of the throacic bridge stretch course. Basically it kicked my a$$ and I was curious if there were other beginners who focus on Olympic weightlifting. I can't imagine how bad I would be at the other 2 stretch courses. :) Also, I was curious how often I should do the course if I lift 5 days a week. Thanks!

Chris Garay

Hi Jeremy,

Great to hear you're trying the Stretch Series! I think they will compliment your Olympic weightlifting in exactly the right ways. Think about it... in order to lift more weight overhead, you are really emphasizing hip extension and shoulder flexion. Between Thoracic Bridge, Middle Split, and Front Split work, you will get all the missing elements of hip flexion and shoulder extension.

In terms of when to schedule your stretching, just be careful that these sessions might create some soreness if you are not used to this type of work. I would recommend, if you think this is a viable option, to scale back your Olympic weightlifting volume while you first integrate the Stretch Series. After a bit of time (2-3 months, perhaps), then you can re-evaluate how you feel and see if you can handle the full workload once again.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Best,
Chris

If it helps you to think about this, I have been doing GST for years now, and am otherwise decently flexible in my legs and hips.  The thoracic stretch series, however, kicked my rear, too.  Sitting at a desk for the last several decades has not helped  me, either.  Don't be discouraged; I anticipate the course will be of great help.  To both of us.